Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
carpflynut

Clear fly lines

Monic makes a clear line...............I have used this line in 6wt and 9wt......

http://www.monic.com/FLYLINES.HTM

Jim Teeny makes an intermediate line with a clear tip..........have not used this line, but have used the Teeny mini-tip line in 5 and 8wt.....love it.....especially the 8wt, use it for salmon and steelhead

http://www.jimteeny.com/indexMain.html?content=catalog&page=jtCatalog/catalog/catIntro.html

I'm pretty sure most other fly line manufacturers have some sort of clear tip streamer line

Airflo Ridge Stealth is clear. I have a 5wt wff. It doesn't make the difference of a fart in a tornado, whether the line is clear or not. I won it, zero cost to me, so I'm not complaining, just saying.

I have fished the monic lines for snook under the docks. I will say I don't think this line is as durable as regular fly lines around structure, but it does make a difference in some situations, like on the snook in clear water. The way I look at it, if you need a longer leader to get bites, a clear line is perfect. You basically have an infinite leader. If not, I would stick to a regular line Tracking the line is extremely hard, and in most of my sightfishing situations, knowing where the line ends and the leader begins is extremely important.

A word of caution about the Monic and other clear lines with a mono core.... I had one Monic clear floating line, an 8wt, that had taken the usual abuse showing a few scrapes and a nick or two in the line coating. One night one of my anglers hooked a nice small tarpon in the 30lb range and looped the line around the reel during the process.... As the line came tight he got a great jump that was punctuated by the usual sound of a break-off. Nothing unusual there, except when I went to re-tie the leader I found we were missing the last 20 to 25feet of flyline... The leader had a breaking strength of 20lb (my usual setup is a 20lb leader with a 40lb bite tippet at night for tarps). To put it mildly I was surprised since the leader should have broken long before the fly line (which is supposed to have a core of 30lb.)

As you can guess that was the last Monic I've bought. I believe that if the coating is cracked or nicked the core is not as durable as a standard line with a dacron core - but that's just a guess on my part.

I just got a Rio Outbound Short Taper in WF9F/I and the very front section of the line in clear. I intend to use it on fresh lake-run, salmon, steelhead, and laker/brown trout when they are in river estuaries and lower river stretches just prior to their runs up river. Loong casts with big streamer patterns.... Some weighted steamers thus the F/I combo to add in pickup and allowing for hovering streamers to get a bit deeper when needed. Also useful on pike in the spring in thin water.

What do you use to clean these lines?

Rcco