Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

What to do with pink saddle hackle?

I thought of the saltwater flues but the hackle is from size 12 to 18 so I don't think I can use it for that. Are there any trout flies that I could use it for?

I agree with Capt Bob, pink is one of the best colors for the salt. A large portion of my flies have pink somewhere in them. A pink or electric chicken deceiver is deadly and would probably do well in freshwater as well.

Dye them.... to a color, shade, or pattern you use.

I recently got a bunch of pink, grizzly pink, and purple saddle hackle along with some natural colored saddle hackle from some people who got tired of having te feathers in their hair. I have decided I would die some of the purple black but I have no idea of what flies I can make with the pink ones. The only fly I make now with pink are woolly buggers but I can't use these for that. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi bluegill576,

A favorite fly of Gary LaFontaine was called the Firecracker. It was a regular dry fly but the hackle was a mix of dun and fire organge. the organge could easily over power the dun so when we tie it we put about twice the turns of dun hackle over the orange. I suggest substituting other colors for different fishing situations. EX: If Pink Alberts are hatching a turn or two pink hackle mixed in the fly's hackle could be very interesting. Also, a current really hot fly here in the West is a purple Adams. On some days it can be a real killer (at least it has for us). The standard tie for it includes a purple body with a grizzly mixed purple hackle. Some guides we know are putting a gray body with the purple mixed hackle on their flies; they are very successful at putting their clients into fish. Last summer we gave a friend several of ours royal blue Poly Humpies. He took them to Alaska and the Grayling really loved them. I guess the point I'm making is that sometimes different isn't always bad when trying to fool a fish into taking a fly. On that subject, what do you think a fish thinks a Royal Wulff/Coachman represents? Or the purple Adams? Blue Humpy? Take care & ...

I thought of the saltwater flues but the hackle is from size 12 to 18 so I don't think I can use it for that. Are there any trout flies that I could use it for?

The larger size 12's should work on smaller seaducers, claws on crabs & legs on shrimp patterns !

I also like pink for saltwater flies. Crappie, & both White & Yellow Perch like pink too. I tie a simple pattern with a pink thread head, pink hackle collar & a white fox fur wing, which looks like the color combination in some of Capt Bob LeMay's flies. I add a bit of flash to them too, usually a combination of silver & pearl, or gold & pearl. No body , just a bare hook. Often I tie them on # 2 or #4 stainless hooks because I'm using them in brackish water. Very simple, and works well for the fish species I listed, plus Bluegills as these folks have mentioned, and Shad in the spring. Even occasionally catch some bass on them. Pink is a good color to tie with! :)

Intruders. I am surprised no one has mentioned PNW Steelhead Intruders, Pick-ur-pockets, and the like.