Fly Tying
KSFisher

Streamer fishing question

I am new to fly tying, I have been tying for about three weeks now, and have been tying a few streamers. I tried fishing streamers for the first time last weekend and couldn't quite figure it out. I figured out that I needed to add more weight to my woolly buggers, picked up some cone heads and heavier wire today, but also needed some feed back on how to fish them. When fishing streamers do you work your way up or down stream? It seems to me that if you cast across the stream and let it drift down while retrieving it back up current you would need to fish down stream to not spook the fish.

I am new to fly tying, I have been tying for about three weeks now, and have been tying a few streamers. I tried fishing streamers for the first time last weekend and couldn't quite figure it out. I figured out that I needed to add more weight to my woolly buggers, picked up some cone heads and heavier wire today, but also needed some feed back on how to fish them. When fishing streamers do you work your way up or down stream? It seems to me that if you cast across the stream and let it drift down while retrieving it back up current you would need to fish down stream to not spook the fish.

I try to go up stream as much as possable but sometimes that doesn't work. As far as the weight it depends on the line your using. If you have a sink tip you give up some the weight on your fly.

Kevin

Try pinching a smallish split shot on the leader at the nose of the fly. Cast it down and across, retrieve in slow 3-4 inch pulls with hesitations at the end and small 1-2 inch rod tip flips before the hesitations , keep a tight line, and hold on tight. Retrieve right up to your boots -- I've had monster browns come so close it still gives me the flim-flams. It is unfair to the fish! And you can cover a lot of water.

Rocco

Very good question and you should get a load of replies on here along with the usual 'google it'.

I suspect you are fishing in a river by the mention of moving downstream, and that's exactly how i do it! I move down, depending on the current i either chuck it slightly down and across, directly across, or if i need it deeper, slightly upstream. I usually whack an upstream mend in to help it get down and then i am usually just swinging it till parallel to shore (with a nice straight line), couple of paces down and do it again. If its a sweet looking pool/ run, i will start off short and increase my distance as i go so not to overline any fish. Follow the line with your rod tip, keep it tight so u can feel any bottom or hits.

Found a couple of images online...

post-29540-0-66958800-1317355191_thumb.jpg

post-29540-0-96033800-1317355207_thumb.jpg

Sure there are plenty more too!

Streamers and Bucktails - The Big Fish Flies by Joseph Bates is a book you may want to look in to getting. This is one of the most complete books I've read. He tells stories of trips that divulge streamer techniques from east to west coast. Types of streamers for certain waters and why they work where they do and how to tie and some illustrations to explain fishing certain situations like what Jam posted. He explains the importance of size, action, presentation, and color and when one or more are more important than others. It is informative but not technical, just like sitting around talking to your fishing buddy about fishing.

This is a magical and timeless book written decades ago but with updates at the reprintings, I think I have the more recent printing. The book takes you back but also up to the present seamlessly teaching you about tying and fishing streamers at the same time giving a vivid panorama of fly fishing as it progressed through the years. I actually felt like I knew the people he was talking about and fished the places he shared experiences of.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamers-Bucktails-Joseph-Bates-Jr/dp/0394415884

Anyway, internet is great for resources, I use it all the time but when I read a good book like this it makes me hope that books never go away.

Good Luck,

Kirk

Not sure there is a right or wrong way but conventional wisdom will tell you to think like a large meat eating fish and then make your offering as attractive as possible. Fishing streamers is probably more like hunting that most forms of fly fishing for trout.

Bait fish will not swim towards a big fish, the fastest escape route for a bait fish is downstream - think about natural behavior and fish appropriately.

Not sure there is a right or wrong way but conventional wisdom will tell you to think like a large meat eating fish and then make your offering as attractive as possible. Fishing streamers is probably more like hunting that most forms of fly fishing for trout.

Bait fish will not swim towards a big fish, the fastest escape route for a bait fish is downstream - think about natural behavior and fish appropriately.

I agree and I change my attack with them. I remember one time I sent a streamer with a jerk strip retreive a few times them one cast my attention went to a rise that let my fly dead drift and BAM there he was fish on. You never know!

Kevin

Try everything, cast downstream, across, upstream, slow retrive, fast retrieve, let it sink, let is skip across the surface, don't retrieve but let the current swing the streamer in front of the fish....I've gotten fish using all of those methods, you've just got to figure out what works for that individual fish! But the most conventional method is casting across(downstream) and then retrieve in few pulls to imitade a injured bait fish! But the most fun is to fast retrieve along the surface and watch the fish come splashing and attacking the fly!

I agree with Laxi on this one, fish it every way you can. Make sure you fish the fly all the way to your feet. I have had fish smack a streamer just a few feet from where i was standing and it startled the hell out of me.

I remember fishing in the clark fork river with dry flies and not catching any trout but lots of el pinos.One time I was bringing in a little el pino and felt a huge bite on my line!!!When I finally let the little el pino go.A brown trout swallowed him whole right by my toes!!!He swallowed him just like a bass!!!

I hate to be a prig but did u eat that fish Laxi or just feed your ego with the photo?

The photo in my signiature is one of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen and it's hopefully still alive in my river :) It probably would've tasted great but lets not go off topic

I've noticed over the last few weeks more and more people being rude on this forum....i dont see the problem with having a picture of a great fish on a forum that is about....fishing