Fly Tying
salty fly

anybody try rattles in balsa poppers

I have been messing around with glass rattles.What do you all think about rattling poppers?

I know the plug fishermen in the northeast drill several rattles in to their broomstick poppers for Bluefish and Stripers. Personally, I used to put them in my Comel "perch" float (being a float, the hole is already drilled) sliders but always thought a popper made enough commotion on its own. Give it a whirl though.

Kirk

What I did was.After shapeing the body,about 1 inch.I took my dremel withh a small bit and routed out a space to fit the small glass rattle in.Then I cut a small piece of balsa and shaped it to plug up the hole,with a little zap to hold it altogether,then I sanded it down to shape.Next I made my cut for the hook.It looks like a regular popper,same size and shape as all my others.I am going out to the lake early in the morn,gona give it a go.The looks,paint,tail and everything are the same as my most productive popper,but with a rattle.We will see,it is fun to just mess around,I think it is cool anyway.

I have made two. I didn't have a big enough body, so they both ride really low in the water.

I've added rattles to bigger size poppers, but frankly, I much prefer the plastic rattles to glass, I think the noise the plastic rattles makes is louder. If you're going to add rattles, then they at least should be noticed!

Denny Brauer, a well known pro tournament angler & jig guru, was asked about using rattles on jigs, whether he thought it made any difference. He said he could not recall any instance where the rattles discouraged a strike, so he adds them to all of his jigs. I feel the same way about adding them to poppers, I don't feel it hurts! :)

I've been using Woodies Rattler Inserts, a plastic rattle for 12 or 15 years: http://www.woodiesrattlers.com/html/rattle_inserts.html

Woodie's Rattler Inserts don't break; are tapered and therefore allow ya' to make a better looking fly; don't slip like glass rattles and are easier to tye with; can be trimmed, if necessary; bond well with epoxy; are very light weight; and have well proven record of catching fish!

I've always been amazed that this product has not become a standard part of every warm and saltwater tyer's tying kit!

You can often get 'em at Wally World.

I love 'em!

Bowfin47

PS

While I don't have any financial connection to Woodies, other than loving their products, I must admit that the owner, Larry G. is a great guy!

Been using them for years but have since giving up on glass rattles last year as they tend shatter so it better to get the magnum rattle which is encased in hard plastic.(Janns)