Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
H.Champagne

What is your favorite Fly Reel?

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I removed Cortland from the choices and replaced it with the Pflueger Medalist, i guess twenty choices is the limit, since no one picked Cortland, i figured it would be alright, If anyone does come across this and would have picked Cortland, just post it up and I apologize.

Creating this poll has quickly shown me just how many fly reel brands there are. It's crazy that they all share such a small market.

and there is many many more reels out there

montana fly company

cheeky

einarsson

greys

airflo

bsllan

bellinger

cabelas

daiwa

loop

danielsson

eagle claw

fin nor

flylogic

guideline

islander

old florida

pate

penn

ryal

scierra

snowbee

tioga

van staal

vosseler

white river

wright & mcgill

www.flyreelmania.free.fr/ for a whole bunch more

Crazy, does anyone wonder how these companies that are based on fly reel production (obviously plenty of these listed make many other things so reels is just a side program) stay in business with so much competition and a relatively small market,especially with a product that is not really disposable in any sense of the word, most people have fly reels for a long time with little turn over, granted there are people out there with several reels but in general most people i know have between 1 & 3 reels, depending. Not to mention, this post is starting to show that there isn't one company that just dominates the industry, the choices are dispersed somewhat evenly, and since it is common knowledge that your modern day fly reel is slightly "over engineered" for freshwater fishing, as in you dont need the technology, its nice to have, but it doesn't help that much with landing your average brown trout or large mouth bass, where is this section of the industry going? how can such a diluted market which has already created a product which does its job perfectly, evolve? I know, there will always be little things that will make this or that slightly better, but until some huge shift of paradigm comes along, are these companies set to ride a stagnant plateau? I would love to see some demographics for the fly reel industry in the US....

Crazy, does anyone wonder how these companies that are based on fly reel production (obviously plenty of these listed make many other things so reels is just a side program) stay in business with so much competition and a relatively small market,especially with a product that is not really disposable in any sense of the word, most people have fly reels for a long time with little turn over, granted there are people out there with several reels but in general most people i know have between 1 & 3 reels, depending. Not to mention, this post is starting to show that there isn't one company that just dominates the industry, the choices are dispersed somewhat evenly, and since it is common knowledge that your modern day fly reel is slightly "over engineered" for freshwater fishing, as in you dont need the technology, its nice to have, but it doesn't help that much with landing your average brown trout or large mouth bass, where is this section of the industry going? how can such a diluted market which has already created a product which does its job perfectly, evolve? I know, there will always be little things that will make this or that slightly better, but until some huge shift of paradigm comes along, are these companies set to ride a stagnant plateau? I would love to see some demographics for the fly reel industry in the US....

Maybe not one, but for saltwater, Nautilus, Tibor, and Hatch make up the majority IMO

So many good brands. From the list, Sage, Hardy, Reddington, Tibor and Abel....but you missed my top fave, Islander, and another fave, Loop.

Another inexpensive, but good, reel missed: Admunson.

Looks like we need a poll with around 50 available choices....lots of reels out there.

it can also be tricky when you just use a brand name... when there are HUGE differences between models in a given brand.

Say Hardy...

there are the pre-war collectables

the workhorse 50s-70s reels

and the Koren garbage

There are also some companies on there that have the same exact reel as other companies (minus brand logos)

just product ordered from a large importer with some slapped on and price added

I love my Nautilus', especially the NV, its an absouletly bullet proof saltwater reel. Kayak fly fishing tends to destroy lesser gear.

Hatch, Hatch, Hatch. Best reel out there, bullet proof and the drag is perfect.

If can only choose one, choose a hatch!!

I like my Pflueger Trion the best but the company is not what it use to be, they dis-continued the blanks for the trions. My next favorite is the Echo ION.

i have a ross fly cast 3 and i love it for anything from bass to salmon, second for my walleye spots i love the okuma sierra, yeah its a begginer reel but hey its silent retrieve, and when im trying to hide the fact that im landing walleye from other anglers on the river near by, that silent retrieve really keeps them away, when ever i reel in all the anglers look up cuz they hear the zip, annoying...