Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
H.Champagne

What is your favorite Fly Reel?

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is my first poll, i hope it did it correctly. I have been looking at different reels lately and thought it would be interesting to see the responses. If i forgot a reel company that you like, let me know.

Harris Solitude (Harris is no longer in business but sold the Solitude name to another company).

I've owned my Harris solitude for over 15 yrs now, landed well over 1000 salmon&Steelhead on it, and have never had a single issue, or even had to oil it! It's by far the most bulletproof reel I have ever owned.

New fav would be my Redington CT 2/3 (they no longer make that model)Had that one for about 10 yrs and no probs, smooth as can be and looks great with its polished aluminum finish.

I also had a Galvan T8 that I owned for about 3 years and I LOVED that reel. Had to sell it last year when I had some money issues right before Christmas but that Galvan was just a dream to fish with.

A quick question before I vote. Is it the reel that we like the most even if you can't afford it or is it te favorite reel you have and use on a regular basis? Also you should add Allen for a brand they have some nice reels that people like.

I have the okuma integrity on my 7 wt bass and steelhead rod love it has turned many steelhead and smallies with it and it didn't eat up my wallet I also have a cortland on my 10 wt that I really like but haven't fished it enough to call it my favorite yet

It could be one you want or have. If you post up a reel that you cant afford but really want, it would be cool if you post up why so people who read this can see your thinking behind it. If you just love hatch reels but cant afford one, go for it. I have never used a lamson lite-speed & cant afford another reel, but the conical drag and subtle dark gray look really sells me as a consumer.

Creating this poll has quickly shown me just how many fly reel brands there are. It's crazy that they all share such a small market.

You also forgot the Pflueger Medalist which I used 90% of stream time. Course I am an old fat guy! :D B) Bass, BG, all panfish, Carp and will even suffice for Saltwater. I do prefer a better reel for the salt.

I own several reels of different makes, and really can't say any are a true favorite! All have done the job as intended! However, I voted Lamson. I have one of the original LP-2's and have had it longer than my other reels.

I would love to have a Abel, Hatch or Mako for saltwater fishing, but my budget has limited me to Okuma Integrity! :rolleyes:

I have been using Pflueger Medalist fly reels for almost 40 years for trout, warmwater fish and steelhead. They never let me down. :)

I voted Bauer because I flipped a coin and it landed on heads... Bauer was heads, Lamson was tails. I have used a number of different reels and thes two are by far my favorites.

Lamson: Light weight, great drag, very large arbor, huge line capacity and durable

Bauer: Butter smooth drag, bullet proof, great manufacturing, bullet proof

I like them all. I guess my favorite is a Godrey, but the reel I have fished the most is a Hardy. I fish with Galvan and Ross reels too.

For my regular fly rods I mainly use older model Scientic Anglers in regular sizes for 4 to 6 wt lines on trout, smallmouth, etc and the larger size SAs on steelhead, chinooks etc... They have never but never let me down and odds are they will last forever, I set drags light and use my palm to enhance drag when I need it and always fight larger fish off the reel.

Recently however I have been bitten by the spey/switch rod bug and found that I need a heavier and larger arbor reel to balance those rods and store the fatter tapers and enough backing. Did quite a bit of research and settled on the Lamson Guru.

I also recently picked up a large arbor LL Bean for use on 9 wts that are my designated rods for a new passion -- chucking big streasmers at muskies.

I have a shoe box holding old Plueger Medalists in various sizes which I will never use again. Glad to donate them to anyone training kids in flyfishing. They are serviceable if a little 'ratty' looking.

Rocco