Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
narcodog

Regal base

I thinking of buying one of the light weight Regal bases have any of you used them? If you have have you experienced any problems?

I have one and if I where you don't buy it. It is to light, the vise move around a lot when tying with it.

carlp

That's kinda what I was afraid of.

I have one and if I where you don't buy it. It is to light, the vise move around a lot when tying with it.

carlp

I would think a lightweight base would kind of defeat its purpose.

carlp

I have a peak base and it is awesome. I rarely experience any sliding. I would go with it if I were you.

I bought a Regal Standard vise with the short stem and a Griffin base for about $30. Its heavy/stable and is about $60 less than the base that comes with the Regal. I've been happy with this set-up.

Tom

I bought a Regal Standard vise with the short stem and a Griffin base for about $30. Its heavy/stable and is about $60 less than the base that comes with the Regal. I've been happy with this set-up.

Tom

Let me clarify, the Griffin base was $30, the Regal vise/stem was something like $130-140. My original note made it sound like I bought both for $30. I wish...

Let me clarify, I have several bases including a Regal brass base. What I was looking for was something lighter that I can use when traveling. I have seen the light weight Regal bases so I just need someones opinion on their use.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I travel a lot for work and take my tying stuff with me frequently. The standard Regal Brass base is what I use but I bought the Regal Vise portfolio for it and it works really well. It doesnt make anything lighter obviously but it does make it easier to travel with because it protects everything from the base sliding around.

I have used a C-clamp Regal vise for years, and take it with me when I teach a fly tying class. I attach it to a piece of white pine, 1" T X 12" W(11" actually) X 15" L. I have rubber stops on the bottom that sets the outer edge of the board about 2" out from the edge of any table I set it on. The vise is attached to the very front edge of this board. I put my home-made tool caddy about 6" back from the edge of the board. This little bit of weight is more than adequate to counter-balance the vise and everything stays put, even when doing deer hair bass bugs, which can put a lot of 'pressure' on the vise. This board actually sets on top of my tying desk with the vise attached to it for my own tying. I covered it with a piece of dull white construction paper to facilitate finding things on it, and to minimize glare. The board is light-weight, and easily transported.

You guys are making me smile. Such great tips. Along with the Regal brass base I have a "C" clamp and I carry everything in a "Bug Box" which is big and heavy by it's self. I travel in a truck camper so weight reduction is important. I can clamp the "C" to the table or to the Bug Boxes fold out self. Keep um coming we'll get there sooner or later. :D

Get yourself a cast iron skillet and multi task. Eggs and bacon in the morning and fly tying in the camper in the afternoon or evening. you could even blend up some magaritas and tie all nite long. take the hubcap off the rim, add some melted lead and there ya go!

http://edengelman.com/MoreVises/MoreVises.html

:lol:

Get the Regal Bronze Pocket Base. Best base I've used to date, although a bit expensive. Plenty light enough to use for a travel vise. Personally, I find a pedestal MUCH more useful than a clamp because you can lay it on any surface and tie. Clamps either take adjustments or jury-rigging on odd/thick surfaces.

I saw an unusual base at the orvis in boston that was the size of a dinner plate and weighed about 8 pounds. A bunch of pockets to hold stuff. Not sure who made it.

I saw an unusual base at the orvis in boston that was the size of a dinner plate and weighed about 8 pounds. A bunch of pockets to hold stuff. Not sure who made it.

Like this? This is the Bigfoot base made by Terra, weighs 6lbs, and is what I am currently using...I love it.

http://www.j-maclures.com/terrabigfootvisebase.aspx