Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Aqueous1025

Purchasing feathers

Feather purchasing prefference  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been looking at Whiting feathers and was wondering when it comes to the grade what people are usually buying. I have been getting 1/2 saddles and capes in bronze. Is there enough difference for someone who ties for fun or themselves to consider the other grades from Whiting?? Is there a big difference in size between half and full saddles and capes? Is there a big difference in brand?

In my experience you get what you paid for. With Whiting skins, it doesn't really matter much which grade you choose: you still get about the same number of hackles for the buck. My $0.02!

For me it depends on what I'm using the feathers for. For dry flies I will use a bronze grade cape but fo my micro poppers were I need more feather I use a bronze grade saddle. All whiting they are the best.

Is there a big difference in size between half and full saddles and capes?

is this a trick question? :unsure:

Through extreme quality control and marketing, Whiting has become the standard to which all others are judged, pretty much. Metz had some quality issues many years ago with some of their products, although I wish I could get my hands on some more Metz #2 grade saddles from the early 90's.... absolutely the best woolly bugger hackle ever. Period. I'm still tying from a couple of grizzly and black saddles from that timeframe and when they're gone they will be sorely missed. The other brands all have their following and they are all good feathers from what I've seen.

For dry flies I prefer capes/necks. In my OPINION the barb density of neck feathers continues to be better than saddle feathers, but I haven't actually counted anything under a microscope- that's just how it seems to me. The quality of the selectively bred "genetic" hackles of today would make fly tyers of even the 1970's crap their pants. It's astounding compared to what we used to think was good.

Is there a big difference in size between half and full saddles and capes?

is this a trick question? :unsure:

Through extreme quality control and marketing, Whiting has become the standard to which all others are judged, pretty much. Metz had some quality issues many years ago with some of their products, although I wish I could get my hands on some more Metz #2 grade saddles from the early 90's.... absolutely the best woolly bugger hackle ever. Period. I'm still tying from a couple of grizzly and black saddles from that timeframe and when they're gone they will be sorely missed. The other brands all have their following and they are all good feathers from what I've seen.

For dry flies I prefer capes/necks. In my OPINION the barb density of neck feathers continues to be better than saddle feathers, but I haven't actually counted anything under a microscope- that's just how it seems to me. The quality of the selectively bred "genetic" hackles of today would make fly tyers of even the 1970's crap their pants. It's astounding compared to what we used to think was good.

hey Joel remember when we thought getting two flies from one feather was great

hell, I remember when I thought getting ONE fly from TWO feathers was great!!! :D

hell, I remember when I thought getting ONE fly from TWO feathers was great!!! :D

When I started tying you went out to the family farm kicked a rooster in the butt and hoped he would crap a size 12 feather. Back then you could get maybe size 12 feathers but that was it. Now days you can't find them most of the time. Fly tying has sure come a long way since the 50's!!... :rolleyes:

he-he---------I still have some of those old necks around in my collection. the one I wish I still had is the Darby dun necks. Have a bin with the old india necks as well. Joel I'll check around when I get back for you on those saddles might know where to get a few...pm what you need.

High grade capes or saddles will tie more flies then the lower grade. A higher grade cape is a better value, cost per fly, compared to a lower grade.

That being said, it all depends on how much of a single color you use. If you use a lot of a single color, get that color in higher grades. If you just are trying a color or rarely use it go with a lower grade.

Joe Fox

haha, my local shop has bunches of 14 feathers for $70. Im so glad im still sitting on my collection of hackle. Might be worth a few thousand right now.