Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

Shallow water boat

I am trading/selling my large, fast bass boat for a shallow water boat. I really don't need the bass boat as I don't use it much and all my buddies have bass boats and I can fish with them. Over the past 3 to 4 years I have really taken a liking to fly fishing and tying. I want a boat to traverse big tailwaters behind southern reservoirs primarily the Cumberland river in southern Kentucky and the Clinch in east Tennessee. The tailwaters are big, however, there are rocky shoals that would be shallow when there is little or no generation. I had thought about getting an alumacraft or war eagle jon with a 40hp jet outboard, a kicker engine, and a trolling motor. Some of the factors that would be of concern with me are: (1) I have a 6 year old son that I would like to take with me, (2) stability of the watercraft, (3) I suffered a shattered spine this summer that required extensive surgery and rehabilitation that is ongoing so comfort is a concern, and (4) durability as I want something that is not going to tear up on the rocks. I would really like to hear some of your thoughts?

I am trading/selling my large, fast bass boat for a shallow water boat. I really don't need the bass boat as I don't use it much and all my buddies have bass boats and I can fish with them. Over the past 3 to 4 years I have really taken a liking to fly fishing and tying. I want a boat to traverse big tailwaters behind southern reservoirs primarily the Cumberland river in southern Kentucky and the Clinch in east Tennessee. The tailwaters are big, however, there are rocky shoals that would be shallow when there is little or no generation. I had thought about getting an alumacraft or war eagle jon with a 40hp jet outboard, a kicker engine, and a trolling motor. Some of the factors that would be of concern with me are: (1) I have a 6 year old son that I would like to take with me, (2) stability of the watercraft, (3) I suffered a shattered spine this summer that required extensive surgery and rehabilitation that is ongoing so comfort is a concern, and (4) durability as I want something that is not going to tear up on the rocks. I would really like to hear some of your thoughts?

I was gonna say Kayak until I read the "shattered spine" bit... It was 10 months or so after my shoulder reconstruction before I was serious about fishing again. The good news is I think you have plenty of time in recovery to research boats, sounds as if $$$ isn't too much of a concern.

Most folks I know who fish eastern rivers with boats (Susquehanna, Allegheny, Chattahoochee/Appalachicola) do fine with a 16-18 foot flat bottom aluminum, nice and wide, with a jet. Never really saw too much use of a small kicker motor. They're stable as anything, just don't take it out on Lake Erie in a storm. Not for heavy seas. You'll have to figure out something for comfort--- a flat bottom for shallow water equals a rough ride, a v-hull for cutting through waves equals a deeper draft.

I would say a jon is ideal my friend, a buddy of mine has 3 jons on his property and i freakin love those things your like an aquatic storm trooper in those things, 1 foot of water no problem. Good luck in the search.

Druce

The advice about looking for a sturdy, wide, jon boat is right on the money (and for durability you're wanting a welded, not riveted, hull with a skin thickness in the .100 range or heavier. As you get into a bit sturdier jon boat you'll be hard pressed to find one meant for the recreational market (but they're available if you look around, then check out the specs the manufacturer offers). The one item I'd consider a "must have" for anyone with back problems is a good comfortable seat. That bass boat you're going to part with is superior to many other boats in that department. About six years ago now I converted the seating system (straight bench seat on the stern deck) on my old Maverick flats boat to very comfortable bass type seats (three in a row across the stern). It looks a bit odd but is very comfortable for both me and my anglers. Typically we run long distances and cross large bays in all kinds of weather. At the end of the day those seats make all the difference. The ones I've chosen are by Tempress and they're the Navi-style seats. You can mount them any way you choose, pedestals, swivel mounts, sliding mounts,or just directly to any level surface. Hope this helps, and I'll enclose a pic or two of what I'm talking about.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-0-19010600-1324731352_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-35946100-1324731458_thumb.jpg

As I suggested when we chatted, posting your question would probably result in ten responses with five different solutions. I was hoping you would get more feedback though. I am sticking to my guns with the geenoe suggestion. But should you choose to go aluminum, noise reduction will be essential and relatively easy to achieve. Metallic sounds will cost you fish so consider either carpet or foam to reduce impact sounds inside the boat. My real concern is when you want to fish skinny water. Aluminum and rocks aren't conducive to stealth. If you get skinny in the Johnny jump out and walk it.

How about a Mokai wide stable and you can stand in them..

http://www.mokai.com/

this is my dream to get one..being disabled it will fit the bill..

that's pretty cool... the unholy offspring of a kayak and a jet-ski

They might not be for everyone but I bought this off Craislist and LOVE it. Not bad for $150

OOPS picture wont load??? It a one man pontoon and trolling motor.