Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Aqueous1025

Orvis Access Mid-Arbor Reel??

I have been looking at reels for awhile and so far I like the Orvis Access Mid-Arbor reel. It seems like a good price for a reel and extra spools without getting carried away.

Has anyone used this reel and have comments about it.

I am trying to stick to under $200 for a reel with spools under $100.

Thank you

I would also like any recomendations close to my price range.

Need a little more intel. What will the primary application be? A mid arbor reel is great but if you are chasing fast critters a large arbor sure is nice. If you are chasing fish that you will never fight "on the reel", my advice is to spend less on your reel and add that investment to the rod. I use a lot of Orvis Battenkill large arbor reels for stripers and big trout. My tarpon and billfish reels are Tibor, but I have nostalgic fun with a pfleuger medalist on my 3 wr. Application dictates specific need.

I have a little one on my 3 weight...probably didnt need to splurge but I won a bowling tournament and was feeling rich. I have played 20 inch rainbows on the reel and found it to be absolutely everything I expected.

Thank you guys. I think I am looking at Blue gills and bass around my house, probably nothing to big either. I was told I should probably stay around a 5 or 6 wt just in case I hook some bigger guys. I know I have seen some big shadows in the ponds around my house but I have never seen one of them pulled out. I have also been told Texas ponds can surprise you. So I guess Im only sure about what I have not what I could fish up here.

The Access Mid Arbor replaced the Battenkill Mid-Arbor, but the only differences I could see were the gold color and a new handle.

I have a couple Battenkill Mid-Arbors and really like them, have used them for steel head with no issues. They are essentially the same reel as a Pflueger Trion and another one (maybe a Loomis). It might be overkill for bluegill and bass. Check out the Okuma SLV for a good mid-priced reel for bass/trout. I have one on my 5 wt for trout and it is a good reel for the money.

You might look at LL Bean's Mid Arbor reel. They're reasonably priced with a disc drag, and spare spools are available. I've had

one on my 6 wt. rod for 3 years, and I love it. My guide on the White River wanted to take it off of my hands, instead I bought one

for him as a gift to compensate him for a trip that was busted by the weather (since he wouldn't charge me for the day).

I have been using the Access on my 7wt for a while, I got it shortly after it came out. So far I love it. I use it for bass, steelhead, and carp fishing. The drag performs great on carp and steelhead, and I can't imagine I'll find anything in Ohio that would test a reel's drag better than those 2 species.