Fly Tying
Bloop

Homemade Popper Heads

I have been looking around for quite awhile gathering info on poppers. I have made some heads using 8lb density pour foam. After trying many of the standard materials I liked this one the best. Very strong, extremely light and easy to work with. These heads are set on a #2 Mustad Signature hook. I have some #4's drying right now. I guess you could say they are based on the Clouser EZ popper. I found that after a lot of testing these seemed to make the nicest noise and bubble trail. They sit lowish in the film. A bonus is that they also sit nice and horizontal even without dressing Heres a few pictures and hope to put more up when they are dressed up. If there is anything you see that I should do please give me your 2 cents

post-37266-0-81343600-1328799581_thumb.jpg

post-37266-0-12867000-1328799518_thumb.jpg

They look good so far. Sitting horizontal is not always what people want in their poppers. Some want the part of the

hook at the bend to be angled slightly down in the water. The materials you add to the rear of the hook may tend to

do this for you.

Nice poppers,what is the pour foam you are talking about,is it eazy to get?I make my poppers out of balsa but trying something else.I dont really want to by pre made bodies.Once again lookin good

Its very easy to get. Just do a search for high density polyurethane foam. Its used in boats for floatation.The higher the density the smaller the pours. I used 8lb which weighs 8lbs/cu ft Comes in two parts that need to be mixed. You need to figure out the volume of your "mold" so you know how much to mix. I use a tupperware box and spray it with a releasing agent which is basically a wax spray. I mix the two parts together with my drill and pour into the box. When cured you get a block of foam. Once you know how much to mix you can seal the box and get a nice tight grained foam much like the inside of crunchy chocolate bar. I then cut it up into strips. I use a lathe as I have one but I am sure a dremmel will do it as well. I like it because its strong and wont rot or get heavy if it soaks up any water. I tried basswood(which I found to be too heavy personally), balsa, cork, foam and find I like this stuff the best. I will put some photos up if anyone is interested.

In reply to Stippled Poppers post-- Is there a reason you would want your popper to sit at an angle as opposed to sitting flat?

I am not Stippled Popper, but will answer your question anyway. Frogs, for example, NEVER float flat! Their rear end and hind legs are always hanging down when the frog is floating (lazing) on the top of the water. This is what we want to duplicate, in addition to the size and shape.

Bloop, How much gap do you leave in the top of the box before putting the lid on? Do you tape it closed or just snapped in place? What happens if you don't put the lid on? I was thinking about using Great Stuff, the expanding foam insulation for around wall outlet boxes & door frames. Anybody try it yet?

I am not Stippled Popper, but will answer your question anyway. Frogs, for example, NEVER float flat! Their rear end and hind legs are always hanging down when the frog is floating (lazing) on the top of the water. This is what we want to duplicate, in addition to the size and shape.

Yep! Thanks perchjerker.

My pleasure. Being both a fisheries biologist by profession, and bass fisher by avocation, I figured I could safely answer for you.

Cheers,

Frank

Thanks for the added info.

Joe that type of foam is the same but different if that makes any sense. That stuff your talking about comes out already in the cream state. The stuff I am using is a liquid. The volume of my box is 2 litres so I mix up about 500ml(250 of each A and B ) as it expands to 4 times the volume of the liquid. I put the lid on and watch it rise like a cake. It gets hot while expanding. Takes about 5 mins to become solid. I usually pop the brick out about an hr after it has stopped expanding. Im not sure but I think you will find your foam is very low density but you can try it. You may get very uneven/big pours in the middle but I dont use that so not too sure.

Heres one I have dressed up.

post-37266-0-86417300-1328890971_thumb.jpg

Bloop, great looking & interesting popper bodies!

To add to what perch said about frogs. Poppers & sliders, are not meant to sit on the surface like dry flies. Most anything that a popper might imitate, will both set low in the water, and the rear end will hang below the surface. Frogs are likely the best example. Most other animal's swim in the surface film, not up on top of it. (mice, muskrats, beavers, otters, dogs, cats, rabbits, etc.) Ducks & some other water birds are exceptions. Even injured fish, floating on the surface will be more so below the surface film, than above. I also prefer my poppers to sit low in the surface, and to have the back end at a slight downward angle. Although as SP mentioned, once you dress those, they may in fact sit that way. :D

Hey Bloop great looking poppers. I did a search for high density polyurethane foam and turned up everything but what I am looking for. Do you care to share the web site you order your foam from? Thanks BF

Here ya go US Composites I chose the 8lb density as it was listed as good for decoy carving. On the site they also have a good user guide for the foam. Read through that as I found it quite helpful to start.

I am cutting some heads tonight so I will post some photos.

Thanks tidewaterfly. They already sit quite low in the film. I think you guys are right and will test some dressed ones.I am really happy with the noise. A great "Bloop" to these ones. Some of my others are ok but dont make a noise like these.

They look awesome! Very clean, I like the body taper and deep cupping. The basswood versions I have been turning by hand I have done flat-faced so far, not cupped.

Heres a few photos to give you an idea of how I am using this rigid foam

First I take the big block that I poured into my "mould"and cut it into smaller chunks

post-37266-0-60572200-1328983343_thumb.jpg

The square piece is turned round and drilled to give it the cupped face. The slot is made with a hacksaw blade

post-37266-0-64556600-1328983994_thumb.jpg

post-37266-0-30376300-1328984176_thumb.jpg

Wrap the shank with thread and glue it into the slot with CA glue

post-37266-0-35283100-1328984427_thumb.jpg

post-37266-0-64687800-1328984663_thumb.jpg

I do something a bit different for coating them. Ill put it in another post