Fly Tying
Greybull River Rat

Does a magnifying glass/lamp help or get in the way?

Something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but might help is the background you are tying against. A few sheets of card are far cheaper to experiment with than buying magnifiers. Usually an off white mat background is recommended, but you may find something that is better for you. If you can increase the contrast between your fly and its background you may find you don't need magnification as much.

Great suggestion and I did this as a beginner last winter. I found that the black computer monitors and the dark wood grain desktop laminate was sucking in all the light and it was very hard to see what I was doing. You need "contrast" between the fly you're working on and the background - period. It makes a major difference in ease of seeing what you're doing. Also make sure you have "plenty" of light at your tying area.

Regarding magnification, I tried both ways, with and without the magnifying lamp and each way has its merits. At 54, I do wear low magnification "cheaters" regularly and maybe slightly stronger ones is all I need to avoid having to use the magnifying lamp at times but I won't know until I try them out.

Years ago when I had 1.75 prescription reading glasses I upped that to 2.00 in a drug store reader and even had a pair of 2.50. Now I use the scripts and the magnifier just because it's less strain. i still keep the drug store glasses in the tying case though in case I find myself without my readers.

Funny, I use 1.00 for piano playing.

I have one of those desk lamps with the magnifying glass. Cost about $20 at the time. I use it mainly for the light but I have used the magnifyer a few times. I also tie against a green background.

I have tied down to size 32 just to say I've done it. That was before I had to get the bifocals, I used the magnifyer, 3.5x reading glasses, and was wearing my hat with my flip focals. Looked a little goofey, at least that was the polite way to put it but it got the job done.

I mostly tie from size 10 down to 18. I have tied up to 4/0. Still used it for the light.

Hi Group,

Around our tying area, you'll get different comments regarding magnifiers. Gretchen loves hers and uses them every time she ties flies. I hate the darned things and for years refused to use them. Unfortunately, my eyes are starting to like them a lot but I still hate them! <G> Oh well, isn't getting older fun! Take care & ...

Since this thread has resurfaced, I'll add my $.02 worth. My eyes aren't anywhere near where they used to be. I bought the lighted magnifying glass at Michael's hobby store for about $25.00 five or six years ago. I'm sure it costs more, now. I use it for all my tying.

steve

DSCN0784_zpsf1e9075f.jpg

Since this thread has resurfaced, I'll add my $0.02 worth. My eyes aren't anywhere near where they used to be. I bought the lighted magnifying glass at Michael's hobby store for about $25.00 five or six years ago. I'm sure it costs more, now. I use it for all my tying.

Hi Steve .. I use my magnifying lamp "glass" too at times but always the light.

(???) Question: In your setup, why the carpet pad to the right of your tying station. I'm compiling images of stations I like and wondering about the carpet's use. (???)

Thanks

Like Freddo, I use the light of my magnifier/light all the time ... it's the only light I have on my desk.

The magnifier, I use semi-frequently ... mostly for getting splinters out of my fingers.

Since this thread has resurfaced, I'll add my $0.02 worth. My eyes aren't anywhere near where they used to be. I bought the lighted magnifying glass at Michael's hobby store for about $25.00 five or six years ago. I'm sure it costs more, now. I use it for all my tying.

Hi Steve .. I use my magnifying lamp "glass" too at times but always the light.

(???) Question: In your setup, why the carpet pad to the right of your tying station. I'm compiling images of stations I like and wondering about the carpet's use. (???)

Thanks

Freddo,

I made my tying station from a set of cutting boards and was having a problem with them slipping on the surface of the desk. I thought a piece of carpet would help ...it didn't. I have since removed the carpet and replaced it with this "Rug grip" material. It works.

20151207_093404_zpszmgrvgxy.jpg

Thanks,

steve

Ah ha Steve - Thanks for catching me up. I was "thinking" to make picking up stuff easier. If you have extra grippy stuff cut some into a couple of pieces about 6" x 6" ; one for each hand to an aid to getting fly rod sections apart of they're tight. There's a temptation I've had to set a thumb against a line guide for leverage but I thought "no way" and bailed! I've needed them a couple of times on my 9' four piece already and they work great. They live in the back of my SUV! Anyway nice cozy tying station!

Ah ha Steve - Thanks for catching me up. I was "thinking" to make picking up stuff easier. If you have extra grippy stuff cut some into a couple of pieces about 6" x 6" ; one for each hand to an aid to getting fly rod sections apart of they're tight. There's a temptation I've had to set a thumb against a line guide for leverage but I thought "no way" and bailed! I've needed them a couple of times on my 9' four piece already and they work great. They live in the back of my SUV! Anyway nice cozy tying station!

Freddo, wax the butt ends of the rod before slipping it together. Surprisingly it helps aid in the sections not slipping when fishing but allows for dis-assembly. A coat of tying wax should do fine. I'm thinking the boys and I used bow wax but when in Maine away from home at any rate, any wax will do and we grabbed dubbing wax.. And a coat of wax will last most of a season once done.

Freddo,

Actually, I was losing small hooks, etc. in the carpeting, too. So, two reasons to eliminate it.

steve

Freddo, wax the butt ends of the rod before slipping it together. Surprisingly it helps aid in the sections not slipping when fishing but allows for dis-assembly. A coat of tying wax should do fine. I'm thinking the boys and I used bow wax but when in Maine away from home at any rate, any wax will do and we grabbed dubbing wax.. And a coat of wax will last most of a season once done.

I have pure beeswax from a colleague's husband...what say to that? Too sticky?

Like Freddo, I use the light of my magnifier/light all the time ... it's the only light I have on my desk.

attachicon.gif2.JPG

The magnifier, I use semi-frequently ... mostly for getting splinters out of my fingers.

I have to admit I have used mine for splinters, too. And for putting those little screws back in my glasses.

steve

"Uncle"!! I'm sitting here tying midges and I realize it's MUCH easier for "me" to tie these little things looking through the magnifying glass of the lamp. I'm tying 16's and can't imagine a session of 20's or smaller without the magnification. Maybe I can try the heavier magnification cheaters. I'll suppose I can bring a few flies into the store and see how the glasses fare at given distance. :)