Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ruffells311

Crappie hooks?

The gold hooks that people use for crappie fishing? I fish mostly for bass and these things seem like they are too good to be true. I picked up 3/0 and size 2. 40 3/0's for $3 and 50 size 2's for $3 (they may have been like $2 something).

Eagle claw

ABERDEEN hooks. (Long straight shank and light wire)

Seem like great streamer and some top water hooks.

Any down side to these things?

They are easy to bend for the eye to point it up. I think with out working the fish too hard they should hold up and not strighten the point out.

I use Aberdeen hooks regularly for panfish flies (Clousers, buggers, streamers). I have also used them in larger sizes (up to size 2) and have caught fish on them. I have had a little trouble with them straightening a little in a fight. With the light wire you can bend them back. Just don't go with the eye-crossing hookset on a bass. Personally, for bass, I would find a forged hook that I don't have to worry about leaning in to. I've been using a Mustad 9674 that has almost identical proportions to an Aberdeen hook, but is forged.

That's my opinion.

Deeky

The problem with that inexpensive gold hook is rust. Particularly on a streamer that tends to hold more moisture because of the materials used. If you don't dry it for a few hours the rust will already begin. In a day your fly is rust colored, the hook is compromised and your time at the

bench is wasted. Crappie hooks are great for minnows and not much else. Since you already bought them, my advice is to use them on prototype flies. If you are like me, you tie a prototype for a "new" fly. It migh get wet water testing it but that's fine. I rarely fish a prototype. I just use it as a tool to make the next fly "right."

If you're going to go large with an Aberdeen style hook, 1/0 or larger, you're better off with worm hooks made for plastics, such as those made by Owner, Gamakatsu, or some of the Mustad Ultra Points. Particularly when tying bass flies. Many are Aberdeen style, but are sharper & stronger than a standard Aberdeen used for panfish. I use them quite a lot for tying bass flies, and some for Striped Bass as well. Most such worm hooks have barbs on the shank, but that's not been an issue. I've even used them for making poppers & the barbs actually help keep the body in place. The draw back is that the better worm hooks are expensive compared to regular Aberdeen hooks, plus they may break if really stressed, instead of just bending. So, far I've not had that problem.

I've used the regular type Aderdeens too for panfish flies, and they're fine for that. Excellent for Bluegills, Crappies, & some of the smaller panfish. Plus, being very inexpensive, not a big drain on the wallet if you lose a lot of flies. Big difference paying 2 or 3 cents per hook, than paying 20 cents or more.

I bought some size 8 Aberdeens a couple of years ago, sold under the South Bend brand name. They're a bronze hook, and both sharp & strong, much like a fly hook, except with a straight eye. I got them to tie buggers & smaller Clousers for Crappies & Perch, and would have no issues with using them for flies tied for other species. They've been a pleasant & cheap surprise, and I'm sure they would work well.

I tie a lot with hooks not sold for tying, and there are many that work just fine, depending on the application. Sometimes it's a chance you take when experimenting with hooks, that they won't be suitable but for me I've found some pretty good hooks that were a lot less expensive than "fly hooks"! :)

And worm hooks will usually naturally ride point up without any weight to flip them - they are a sort of premaid bendback. Weedless and better hooking.

And worm hooks will usually naturally ride point up without any weight to flip them - they are a sort of premaid bendback. Weedless and better hooking.

Very True! The offset type will, but not the regular non-offset "J" hook type. I tie on both, but was specifically talking about the non-offset straight shank "J" hooks in my previous post, since the topic was Aberdeen hooks. If you want to try a cool offset hook for tying, get some VMC 6319 wide gap hooks. They have a long front section that's ideal for tying on!

Here's a link to the VMC catalog: VMC hooks

Straight shank "J" worm hooks(Gamakatsu): "J" Worm Hooks

Offset, wide gap & "J" worm hooks(Gamakatsu): http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/worm.htm

The barbless worm hooks listed are excellent for tying leech patterns. ;)

I've made poppers with "J" type offset worm hooks also. O'Shaughnessy or Round bend. The offset front section works well as a "kink" for holding the body, except it will cock the hook slightly downward in the back end, but places the point at a slight upward angle. I've not found this to be an issue. Actually I like it that way, as it seems I get better hook-ups if they take it in their mouth. Of course, the light wire & super sharp points help too!

Gamakastu Skip Gap hooks also make excellent popper hooks! :)

(Gamakatsu)Skip Gap: Skip Gap

Thanks guys. After a few test runs on the water with some of them I will report back if I had any strighten out. I figured if they don't work then nothing really lost. If anything a good learning experience on why "fly hooks" are more expensive. I just wish I had a fly shop around here lol. Bass Pro's White River fly shop is the only one close to me and most of the time they never have any good streamer hooks. I love to fish with minnow and worm imitations. They seem to work best for me. The top water bite is not exsistant for more of the year than it is and in streams and rivers I haven't had much luck to bass on top water lol.

I do use the gold hooks in size 10 when I can find them. I tie BG flies and craft foam spiders on them. I have no rust problem with them that I recall but I also loose about a dozen each year. They are cheap and I use a 6# tippet and if I hang one on under water brush I can straighten the hook and get the fly back about 80% of the time.

Matzuo Sickle Hooks are the rage on several crappie sites. Those guys love 'em.

Matzuo Sickle hooks are super sharp and strong and come in RED! And they're CHEAP @ $5.95 / 100, including shipping! I buy mine from "Killer Jigs", an ebay store: 100 - #6 Matzuo 149060 Red Sickle Jig Hooks for Molds :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320656189244?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Matzuo has a baitholder sickle hook that I've used for tying. Pretty good hook for tying bass flies.

I also bought them from an Ebay seller. This is a size 1/0.

hooks001.jpg

Here's a fly I had posted previously, tied on this hook.

A simple crayfish fly, tied in the Clouser Minnow style.

crayfish004.jpg

Matzuo has a baitholder sickle hook that I've used for tying. Pretty good hook for tying bass flies.

I also bought them from an Ebay seller. This is a size 1/0.

hooks001.jpg

Here's a fly I had posted previously, tied on this hook.

A simple crayfish fly, tied in the Clouser Minnow style.

crayfish004.jpg

Very nice!! all it needs is a shot of Gulp Alive crayfish scent and you're in business!! :ph34r: :D