Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Rods for the expo

Well the burning of the midnight oil building rods for the upcoming Midwest Fly Fishing Expo has started, this is the first of many rods that are currently in different stages of construction down in the shop.

This one is a Hunter Green 8' 3/4wt 4pc blank with light colored wood reel seat, nickle silver BUL5 hardware, RHW grip with walnut trimmed ends, knurled metal winding check, double foot guides. The wraps are Gudebrod Classic twist green&black(CP'ed) then the trim is Gudebrod Classic twist Brown&black (5 turns).

showrod1.jpg

showrod2.jpg

showrod3.jpg

showrod4.jpg

Steve

Lanyards that I had there last year? Yep I plan to have around a dozen or so of them again this year.

What are these lanyards of which you speak?

Lanyards that I had there last year? Yep I plan to have around a dozen or so of them again this year.

What are these lanyards of which you speak?

I have some custom lanyards with tools included I make and sell at the show every year for $20each.

lanyardcopy.jpg

Rod #2 for the MFF Expo done. This one is a Batson 7'6" 3wt 2pc blank. Reel seat is birds eye maple with nickle silver hardware. Grip has wood ends. Both the reel seat insert and the wood ends on the grip I coated with Threadmaster to give them a very nice deep shine. Wraps are Gudebrod Dark Blue (no CP) with metallic silver trim and black wrapped base under the whole inscription area. Single foot guides and a hard chrome inserted stripper finish it out.

showrod21.jpg

showrod22.jpg

showrod23.jpg

showrod24.jpg

Steve

Rod #3 done for the expo. This one is one I have been experimenting with for the past couple months because I have had some customers that like to fish very tiny streams and they have problems finding anything but 1-3wt rods in very short lengths. So this is one I have been working on and have finally come up with a good casting rod for just such streams. This one is a 5ft 5wt 2pc with anodized aluminum seat, full wells grip with Jadewood ends coated in Threadmaster. Wraps are Medium brown (no CP) and metallic silver trim.

showrod31.jpg

showrod32.jpg

showrod33.jpg

showrod34.jpg

showrod35.jpg

Steve

I would have liked to have had that rod during my brook trout days up in the Keweenaw Peninsula.

Rod #4 for the Expo is done. This one is a 6'6" 2wt 4pc Sevier Tiger eye dark brown blank. The wood insert I can not remember what type of wood it is because I bought that insert from Les Frieborg last year but I thought it looked really nice in contrast to the darker wood on the grip (grip ends are coated with Threadmaster). Wraps are Medium brown (No CP) and metallic gold trim wraps.

showrod41.jpg

showrod42.jpg

showrod43.jpg

showrod44.jpg

Steve

Yeah man I don't know WTF I'm gonna do this year. Normally I hang out with you or go out and smoke. Well your not gonna be there, and I quit smoking 11 months ago....so I may end up having to actually work now :unsure: :huh: