Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Tons of Tarpon Flies

I love this one!

Jax, me too! Classic Apte! Funny, but that pattern was one of the first Tarpon flies I ever tied, way back when I was a kid. I tied them on regular hooks & used them on everything! Stripers will eat it, LM & SM bass will eat it, Pickerel will eat it, Seatrout & Bluefish will eat it! I expect Redfish would eat it too. Even Crappies & Perch will eat it in smaller sizes! ;)

Someday I might even actually get the opportunity to throw it at a Tarpon! :rolleyes:

I love this one!

Jax, me too! Classic Apte! Funny, but that pattern was one of the first Tarpon flies I ever tied, way back when I was a kid. I tied them on regular hooks & used them on everything! Stripers will eat it, LM & SM bass will eat it, Pickerel will eat it, Seatrout & Bluefish will eat it! I expect Redfish would eat it too. Even Crappies & Perch will eat it in smaller sizes! ;)

Someday I might even actually get the opportunity to throw it at a Tarpon! :rolleyes:

Trust me, if I dont sink it into the jaw of some saltwater fish its going in the bass box!

While on the subject..

Anyone have any easy storage methods for hackle tailed flys. Maybe something that can fit a lot with smashing down the tails? I would use my boat box, but believe it or not I end up not being able to get many in there. Just throwing it out there!

I love this one!

I love this one!

Trust me, if I dont sink it into the jaw of some saltwater fish its going in the bass box!

While on the subject..

Anyone have any easy storage methods for hackle tailed flys. Maybe something that can fit a lot with smashing down the tails? I would use my boat box, but believe it or not I end up not being able to get many in there. Just throwing it out there!

Ben, I've got a nice wooden case that was originally meant to hold art supplies, and I'm in the process of gluing foam strips on the bottom for that very purpose. I think I'll make up a plastic version as well to take on the boat. Throwing them all jumbled up in a box is really asking for the tails to be wrecked.

Tidewater - I know for a fact that there were tarpon in the 150-pound class on the flats near my house last July and August. Getting info on the ES tarpon scene is like pulling teeth, but I'll be out there looking every day, and I'll keep you posted. There are plenty of fish out there, it's the info that's hard to come by. The guys who are in the know don't want the place to be overrun by tarpon fishermen, and I can't say I blame them. I'll probably be just as bad once I learn the local water a bit. It's not too bad a drive from your place, and you're always welcome.

While on the subject..

Plano boxes work great and keep the feathers splayed and in tact

Here are some tarpon ties I worked on this past weeked. Most of them are for my trip in late april early may. Guides reccomendations. Hope you enjoy them.

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9354.jpg

IMG_9356.jpg

IMG_9364.jpg

IMG_9366.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg

IMG_9372.jpg

IMG_9373.jpg

IMG_9378.jpg

IMG_9381.jpg

IMG_9383.jpg

IMG_9385.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to ask! And course I always welcome tips/criticism.

[/quote If you're fly fishing the waters around Boca Grande, these might help......post-3688-0-34600500-1330524464_thumb.jpg

Thanks for suggestions saltydancindave! I have tied a handfull of tarpon toads already for my trip (tan, black/purple, chartreuse/yellow,chartreuse, yellow) but do need to tie more EP style flies. Only have a couple tied up right now. I learned to store them in bags like those and it works really well!

Thanks for suggestions saltydancindave! I have tied a handfull of tarpon toads already for my trip (tan, black/purple, chartreuse/yellow,chartreuse, yellow) but do need to tie more EP style flies. Only have a couple tied up right now. I learned to store them in bags like those and it works really well!

Tarpon toads with & without rabbit zonker strips, polypropelene yarn so they float higher in the water column & mono eyes. Pass crabs are brown but there's also the blue crabs & others. Sparse EP's in black over purple with a little red flash for those early morning poons, mullet over chartreuse yellow with some green flash, sand over off-white with some lite green-grey flash or blue, white with a red head, black with a purple head or red & purple with a black head seem to be the favorites of the fly fishing club silver king-ers.