Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

Large wets

I've got some large (8) Mustad downeye japanned heavy hooks, and would like some ideas on large wet flies. Hooks are down-eye and pretty old.

Any ideas? My pattern book is limited on large flys.

Go over to Hatches Magazine and search for the Bergman Collection. I think most of them could be tied in a size 8 - I've read that a lot of the classics were tied much bigger back in the day than they are now. Size 8 really isn't terribly big.

Deeky

Go over to Hatches Magazine and search for the Bergman Collection. I think most of them could be tied in a size 8 - I've read that a lot of the classics were tied much bigger back in the day than they are now. Size 8 really isn't terribly big.

Deeky

Also check out the global fly fisher's Bob Petti collection and Don Bastian's sight (google his name). Almost all of those were tied on #8

There is no reason why you can't tie any wet pattern your heart desires on any size hook you want to use. The point is that it is what size will the fish species sought feed on? The 'warmwater' species, bass and 'bream', are not finicky: if they can get it into their mouths, they will feed on it. Sometimes they will try to feed on it even when they can't get it into their mouths.