Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

tube materials

You can use any cones just use a drill bit in a dremel just takes a second to ream it out. Probably cheaper too. No clue on the turbo cones.

You can make a very weak sub of the turbo by fitting a small sequin up against the hook eye then a cone. Make sure the sequin is faced cup out so it causes the wobble and pulse. You can't spey well with these though cause of the resistance they cause in the water. Really better with overhead cast.

It would be interesting to hear from some of the scandinavian tyers that pop up here. Don't see many salmon flies up my way (N.Scotland) with the turbo heads. I think its because of the problems with spey casting them. I remember reading somewhere the turbo and eumer monsters shouldn't touch the water in the cast.

Kevin I will be trying Gas checks which is used for base of lead casted bullets which I know can be cheaper. All you would need is hole punch tool used for sheetmetal.

As for Cones, CanadianLLamas.com has the proper cones that I use on my Tubes and they work perfect unlike the stuff sold in most fly shop and are of much better quality. No drilling either.