Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JarrodRuggles

since when . . .

Throwing a fly away is a waste of hooks and materials. If every fly tyer throws away a couple hooks each time he sits down at the vise, well that's crazy!

I've never tied a fly that was bad enough to through out.

I never use head cement or super glue on any of the flies I tie for myself. I've never had one unravel while fishing either. I've had some of these flies in my box for two or three years and have caught tonnes of teethy little trout with them. I tie all the salmon flies for my father and myself. No cement on them, and none have fallen apart! We hooked tonnes of salmon with them and no problems.

So hey, even if you don't think the flies are perfect, chances are they will catch fish and last near on forever!

I agree

Normally I keep a razorblade at the tying bench and it the fly looks like shit it gets the knife ohmy.gif

Don't waste a hook unless it's rusted broken or otherwise unusable.

OSD.

I save a lot of my "seconds" in assorted plastic film containers and Altoid tins, and then give them away. I am satisfied that my blemishes are as good as anything at the department store and maybe even some of the fly shops. I fish with a club that has a lot of college-aged anglers, which typically don’t have two quarters in their pocket by the time the end of the month rolls around. Why waste “good-enough” flies when someone else would gladly fish them?

My tying mood shifts as winter drags on, I get more picky (and crabby...) after the snow has been on the ground a while. My wife swears the crabby part kicks in earlier each year. smile.gif

Edited by WYKnot

QUOTE (daryn smith @ Dec 21 2004, 10:04 AM)
When I tie for someone else, and I do, thats a whole different story.I will make sure that these flies will stand the test of time, the best I can.It doesnt seem to matter though some people complain anyway.Go figure

I am currently a rainbow/brown/brookie fisherman, the flies I tie are simple classic dries and nymphs, so all my flies are "bomb proof". As a result, after tying so many, there is no need to distinguish but...

I do distinguish when they are in my box. I have a hard time re-using a fly--even when it is the last of the pattern that is hot at that time. But I tend to get bored being successful with the same fly (the fish I catch are usually 8-12 inches) so I like to mix it up.

"Taking 4 hours to tie a fly isn't going to help it be great. taking that 4 hours to watch videos and practice techniques is the key, then you can sit down and tie a perfect fly in 5 minutes."

Sorry, I have to disagree. While watching tying videos, studying the work of accomplished tyers, and dedicating time to perfect a certain tying technique is important, I don't believe that it'll yield a "perfect" fly in five minutes. It takes me (at least) 5 minutes to apply an acceptable tip and tag!

There are a number of tyers who subscribe to the thinking that "the fish don't care", and they may be right. Personally, when I hear a tyer say, 'the fish don't give a rip', I think the *tyer* doesn't care and is trying to justify or rationalize otherwise sloppy work.

I guarantee that even I can tell the difference between a 'three-minute' fly and one that took four hours to dress - whether it's a 'meat fly' or exhibition fly.

(paraphrased) "One's work is a self portrait of the person doing it - autograph your work with excellence."

Please keep in mind, that this is just my opinion.

Hywel