Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

Fishing bread flies for carp?

I tried today fishing bread flies for carp and they weren't interested. Do people normally "chum" the water by throwing in some bread to get them feeding on it? thanks

they're probably not going to take a bread fly unless they are very conditioned to eating bread! Out in the real world they'll eat a bread ball or dough ball even if they've not previously encountered one because it tastes and smells good. There are no visual cues on a so-called bread pattern to make a fish think "FOOD" unless they already know what they're looking for. Not the same as a pattern which suggests something alive such as a nymph or crayfish.

Carp use scent to find food to a huge degree. The two little barbels on the corners of their mouths are scent receptors, like catfish whiskers.

This is really a great thread, because I'm sure the idea of chumming with bait is going to get some folks' panties in a wad, just as much as putting scent on a fly.

Thanks guys. I think Im going to go out tonight with a little bread and try it out. By the way, what do people make their bread flies out of? I made mine out of tan/white rabbit zonker

I fish the Catawba for carp sometimes. I stand upstream in the riffles and chum frozen corn. Sometimes I fish a yellow egg pattern to the corn hatch. Other times I just fish a nymph.

To make my bread flies, I actually use biscuit dough, the kind that comes in a tube. Use one of the buscuits for the flies and eat the rest. Pinch off a small ball (smaller than a BB) and form it into a small ball at the middle of the shank. It will expand when cooked, so don't use too mucn. One biscuit should make about 100 flies YMMV. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Don't get too hot or it will affect the temper of the hook. Only take as many as you will use in one trip (else it goes stale, and is not as affective). Freeze the unused ones in ziplock bags for later use. Dressng the fly with honey butter seems to increase the number of hits.

To make my bread flies, I actually use biscuit dough, the kind that comes in a tube. Use one of the buscuits for the flies and eat the rest. Pinch off a small ball (smaller than a BB) and form it into a small ball at the middle of the shank. It will expand when cooked, so don't use too mucn. One biscuit should make about 100 flies YMMV. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Don't get too hot or it will affect the temper of the hook. Only take as many as you will use in one trip (else it goes stale, and is not as affective). Freeze the unused ones in ziplock bags for later use. Dressng the fly with honey butter seems to increase the number of hits.

dude that its the coolest most inventive thing I have ever heard...

We all have free will, but isn't that bait fishing? :unsure:

i have no idea anymore <_<

I wasn't talking about using the bread, but throwing bread around my fly to get the carp to focus on eating bread and then hopefully my fly.

I wasn't talking about using the bread, but throwing bread around my fly to get the carp to focus on eating bread and then hopefully my fly.

It will work if they will eat the bread. I've done similar things with carp where they are fed fish food and where I have seen them feed on specific man-made things. Give the fish what they are looking for, plain and simple. I have watched videos online from England where folks chum with dog food and then throw a little deer hair "dog food" fly to them. It seems to be common practice for carp across the pond. If that bothers some folks, I say too bad. I don't fish conventional gear much anymore, but if someone in the next boat is chucking bait, I don't care. I'm not a crossbow hunter, but if a guy the next ridge over is using one, who cares? It doesn't affect me in any way. If it's legal and you enjoy it, go for it. It's a free country...mostly. ;)

A quick dip in turmaric or curry powder works well. The Carp will take items that aren't food. I've watched them sucking at big cotton heads in the water then spitting them out but these fish were used to taking bread slices thrown for ducks. If you fish where people feed ducks the carp should come up for an unscented bait thats the right size and time of day. But normally you will need to chum a bit to get them looking up. Even a one off flavoured fly won't be that effective if the fish are grubbing around the bottom.

that kinda sounds like bait fishing with a fly rod, but i may have to try it because i havent been able to entice a carp yet on my fly rod.

It will work if they will eat the bread. I've done similar things with carp where they are fed fish food and where I have seen them feed on specific man-made things. Give the fish what they are looking for, plain and simple. I have watched videos online from England where folks chum with dog food and then throw a little deer hair "dog food" fly to them. It seems to be common practice for carp across the pond. If that bothers some folks, I say too bad. I don't fish conventional gear much anymore, but if someone in the next boat is chucking bait, I don't care. I'm not a crossbow hunter, but if a guy the next ridge over is using one, who cares? It doesn't affect me in any way. If it's legal and you enjoy it, go for it. It's a free country...mostly. ;)

wellsaid, a busy body is simply a body looking to cause trouble..