Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Surf Candy variation

This pattern I saw on YouTube, a variant by Capt. Matt Wirt from NC. He uses a small glass rattle in the body of the Surf Candy, so I tied a few last night when I had a few spare minutes. This was my first time tying with clear mono thread, it has some cool effects. I may start using it more on streamer patterns for warmwater, also. So the recipe is as such:

-Tail: Ice Wing fiber

-Rattle: small glass (3mm I think)

-Wing: Super Hair (tied in ahead of rattle by butts, pulled back over rattle and tied down)

-Coating: UV Knot Sense, then a light coat of Hard as Hull

Rattle:

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

That's an awesome fly. I love the use of ice wing, it's great stuff

That's a great idea, have been wanting to try candies along the beach for ladies, jacks, spanish or whatever is swimming by. You tied some sweet looking examples, thanks.

Thanks, guys, but all credit for the idea portion goes to Matt Wirt. All I did was follow his instructions! Can't wait to try these out next month, hopefully they snag something.

The hook looks bent in the finished fly photos. Is than an optical illusion or are they actually bent?

Gorgeous flies too!

The hook looks bent in the finished fly photos. Is than an optical illusion or are they actually bent?

Gorgeous flies too!

its an optical illusion salty created by the clear UV knot sense kind of like looking at a poll sticking out of water the light refracts causing a bent look

Great flies bro them will surely hook up for you

Those look great!

Dave, I used to use #6 surf candies for lady fish in the surf of Gulf Shores. They worked great. I used to use 5-minute epoxy and it yellowed but the fish didn't mind. The UV stuff looks like a great alternative.

Kirk

Astonished at how well those rattles are hidden, not that the fish would mind but they are tucked away nicely