Fly Tying
FlorentineJohn

Most visible, best floating wing material?

Hi,

I'm sure this topic has been covered ad nauseam, but I am still confused.

Which material do you prefer for dry fly wings and for parachute posts that has unsurpassed "floatability" and superb visibility?

I see Para Post, Antron, EP Trigger Point Int'l Fibers, plain polypropylene, siliconized polypropylene, McFlylon, antron/Aunt Lydia's Sparkle Yarn, PIP, Poly-X-Wing, etc...

I'm looking for something that floats like a cork, that doesn't get easily lose its ability to float even in rough white water or when covered with slime, and that can be easily seen in the whitewater and/or in the dusk. (I tie flies mostly sizes 14-18).

Thanks!

John

I don't know for posts, but antron makes great loop wings. Gary Lafontaine made a lot of great patterns using antron loop wings. But for what your askin', then I would stick with the foam!

I like siliconised or crimped polypropylene for posts & wings but foam floats better.

Again I would say if you are looking for buoyancy foam is the way to go. However, as you want material for "dry fly wings and parachutes", I've got to question why you need a buoyant material for these? In neither case does the wing aid the buoyancy of the fly. If they drift as intended the wings on either shouldn't get wet. Its the hackle that makes these flies float. They stand on the surface film rather than float because of buoyancy. The only "fluid" the wings are immersed in is air. To aid the floating of these flies the wing would have to be buoyant in air. The idea of using material like duck flank, as in the Catskill style dry flies, gives a very light weight wing. Probably the nearest you can come to a wing that helps the fly float.

There is something you can do to help presentation of dry flies (witcollarar hackle). That is to tie in some floss to the top of the hook shank before winding the hackle around the shank. Then after winding the hackle bring the floss through the hackle and wing post splitting both, like the thorax cover on a nymph. By doing this your fly will land the right way up more often.

938c37b3.jpg

For visibility I always find pink or peach to be the best. It is bright enough to be visible against almost all backgrounds.

If you want a fly that will stay afloat on rough water then I recommend some of the Marc Petitjean Duns. They ride a little lower than traditional dry flies. The design makes them present like a parachute. They will bob back up if pulled under.

MPDun1.jpg

Cheers

C.

For parachute wings as well as upright wings I find congo hair very good, if not the best. It lasts longer than CDC on a fish per fly ratio.

Thank you all for your advice.

I realize that hackle is supposed to hold the fly up, so perhaps I am not hackling the flies heavily enough, as in really rough water I have a hard time seeing the fly and sometimes find it half submerged. I guess for those situations I'll have to try razor foam!

I am glad to hear that Congo hair works well; I'll have to give it a try, as it's so affordable!

Again I would say if you are looking for buoyancy foam is the way to go. However, as you want material for "dry fly wings and parachutes", I've got to question why you need a buoyant material for these? In neither case does the wing aid the buoyancy of the fly. If they drift as intended the wings on either shouldn't get wet. Its the hackle that makes these flies float. They stand on the surface film rather than float because of buoyancy. The only "fluid" the wings are immersed in is air. To aid the floating of these flies the wing would have to be buoyant in air. The idea of using material like duck flank, as in the Catskill style dry flies, gives a very light weight wing. Probably the nearest you can come to a wing that helps the fly float.

There is something you can do to help presentation of dry flies (witcollarar hackle). That is to tie in some floss to the top of the hook shank before winding the hackle around the shank. Then after winding the hackle bring the floss through the hackle and wing post splitting both, like the thorax cover on a nymph. By doing this your fly will land the right way up more often.

938c37b3.jpg

For visibility I always find pink or peach to be the best. It is bright enough to be visible against almost all backgrounds.

If you want a fly that will stay afloat on rough water then I recommend some of the Marc Petitjean Duns. They ride a little lower than traditional dry flies. The design makes them present like a parachute. They will bob back up if pulled under.

MPDun1.jpg

Cheers

C.

Thank you for the floss tip on splitting the wings - I always wondered how I could get the dry flies to land upright more often!

You're welcome. The MP Dun wing is also split with floss in the same way. The wing is tied by putting the CdC in a loop, winding it and teasing it up while winding. Then split it.

Cheers,

C.