Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dcslick

Wooly Buggers with a pheasant material tail?

Hello,

I am new to tying so please bare with me. I had read somewhere but now I can not find it about tying a wooly bugger using pheasant fibers for a tail. Would that be something that trout might be a attracted to or should I stick with the marabou route? I am interested in tying and trying something a little different than the usual.

Thanks in advance!

DC

Hello,

I am new to tying so please bare with me. I had read somewhere but now I can not find it about tying a wooly bugger using pheasant fibers for a tail. Would that be something that trout might be a attracted to or should I stick with the marabou route? I am interested in tying and trying something a little different than the usual.

Thanks in advance!

DC

Check out the Moto minnow- use pheasant marabou and other feathers for the entire fly.

Dcslick substituting materials in a pattern whether because it calls for something you don't have or to make improvements is what it is all about, all of the classic patterns are good but some new twist with a new material could make it great. The main thing is have fun experimenting with new patterns, heck fishing heavily pressured waters with something the fish have never seen could pay off big time

There is a pattern called "Byron's Killer." The pattern is listed in Effective Lake FLies by Mike Andreasen and Allan Ryther.

This is the pattern as listed:

"Tail = Tips of two or three dyed brown pheasant rump feathers clumped and rolled together. Lenght of hook shank.

Body = Brown floss of yarn. Tied thin.

Rib = Gold mylar. Five to seven turns.

Hackle = Brown saddle tied in by the tip and palmered between the ribs.

This pattern was "invented by Byron Gunderson of Salt Lake City, Utah. You can still purchase these patterns from Fishtech in Salt Lake City.

The pattern has evolved into many other color combinations, but all share the pheasant rump tail. The tail should be quite thick and full.

Its a very effective fly for fishing lakes. The pheasant rump feathers don't fowl around the hook bend like marabou often will.

I am interested in tying and trying something a little different than the usual.

as the nike commercials say "just do it" and have fun tying it the way that you want

pheasant tail fibers as a wooly bugger tail wont give the fly the same swimming/motion effect as a marabou tail would, but flies can be tied with whatever materials you want to tie them with

i'd bet not every "wooly" fly in the following book has marabou for a tail

102485348.jpg

dc if you want to get really fancy, with less positioning, just grab a zonker strip and tie it in, lots of action, but I have found out toothy critters destroy rabbit strips