Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JoeFish

how many did you teach last year?

I was just curious how many people everyone taught how to tie a fly last year.

personally, I taught around 6 or 8 people to tie at least a wooly bugger.

if people show me intrest, i am more than willing to sit down with them and let them tie. its fun.

so how many did you teach?

Joe

As a guest tier at our club and at two other clubs and at the Fly Tiers' Showcase at the Toronto Fishing Show, I would say about 25 to 30. I do like to see the

'Ah-ha!' reaction in novice or puzzled tiers. I showed a trick on the EHC to a tier at the Toronto Show and then bumped in to him in Stowe Vermont (of all places) and he remembered me and said that he had gone home and really got into tying them better. Success!!! biggrin.gif

I have to say one.Put it was a special one my ten year old daughter.She is starting to show more interest.This year i hope to get my twin daughters involed.Then hopefully i will have a partner each weekend and one for myself to recouperate.

tt

Guys & gals,

Cannot say I taught anyone in particular. huh.gif

However, I did several fly tying shows and was pleased to help out a couple of tyers--does that count ? ? ?

tidbit

I know for sure of one. When my wife took her beginners class last Jan/Feb we had one class we could not make. So the instructor told me to teach her the Mickey Finn and A PT nymph. She did both very well on the first try. She's a quick learner.

I didn't have an opportunity to teach anyone on the vice but have helped several begginers in the fly shop buy hooks and materials for peticular patterns they wanted to try. The fly shop owners must dig my enthusiasm because they just let me have free reign! It is always fun helping people new to flyfishing/tying! biggrin.gif

A.A.

I actually mentor local kids in tying every year. I try to get in touch with those who have "non sporting" parents. Only had 5 at the change of the school year this year, couldn't afford many more being off work. Had 8 the previous school year. But they were taught all year. Also put on a couple clinics. But, one clinic was a jig tying clinic. But between my actual "students" and those who stop by just to learn to tie "jigs", I'd say about 40. But that's not including the clinic guys.

I only had one student and did a few demos. This side of Florida isn't exactly a hotbed for fly tying. You can get away with using one fly all year, the Clouser is the only fly most people know how to tie around here so there isn't a demand learn more.