Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

OCTOBER Flies

FlyFishin'!! Thanks man. Much appreciated. I really should get to making some movies and more SBS's. Its been a while for me, just havent had much time!

Another fly. Not sure if it has a name. I hooked a 15lb salmon with it last year than lost the fly because I was using light gear.

imgp1146rr.jpg

Those are some beautiful flies gentleman, makes me want to pull out a few salmon hooks and try my hands at some fall steelhead patterns. Can anyone recommend some simple patterns done up with common materials?

I will assume you are fishing for your fish in rivers and advise as I would for sea trout.

You have to take a goat toe (check database for pic) in size 14 to 8, fish bigger as darkness falls.

blue zulu, silver butcher and black pennell all good.

Tube flies with slight flash and think silver blue.

Then all your standard river nymphs should work but in dark or coloured water think BIG BIG BIG

GOMPBHBWO-1-_zps0dc87921.jpg

MP GRAY/OLIVE BH BAETIS NYMPH - TMC 101, #20 – #22…

LOGBAETIS-1-_zpse89b1f6d.jpg

LIL’ OLIVE/GRAY BAETIS EMERGER …TMC 2488…#20 – #22

PT/TB ;)

tubedeerhair1st002.jpg

Drink Box straw, Red floss, Natural Deer Hair, White/Cream Dry hackle, Yellow 6/0 Flymaster

Simple, cheap, small, "disposable" (you won't care as much if you lose it), Quick tie...

Murray

Good thing with surface tube is you can use a relative tiny hook and leave it hanging free, helps hook Ups as the hook tends to be back in fishes mouth when its closed around the fly.

My first attempt at a Blue Elver (Sea Trout Fly).

heh needs work! Have not put on that fluoro thread on the head yet. Excuse the blurry image.

PA041983.jpg

Thanks Murray, pretty fishy looking tube you tied there! FishDragon, that GP is really good - a killer pattern and you have pretty much nailed it as far as i can tell. This and the Ally work very nicely.

Anyone interested in the Blue Elver, this is the SBS i used - pity i only had 2 vulturine feathers, must hunt some more as a quick test swim and i can tell this will actually work nicely.

Now to figure out this goat toe.