Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

OCTOBER Flies

IBBLOJ-1-_zpsd77cff9b.jpg

IRON BRIDGE UV 2 BATTIS…(GRAY BAETIS) -Jurgens/Variant…Daiichi 1480, #18 – #22 ...

SSMKDD-1-_zpsd12540b4.jpg

SNOWSHOE MESS (Knock Down Dun) – Gray Baetis…Schollmeyer/Matthews-Variant…TMC 2488, #16 -#22…

...for HERE:

OWENSTRACKWINTER-1-_zps38d2b6da.jpg

PT/TB ;)

you know your in California when you can park your truck in the creek and climb in the back and throw a dry fly at trout then hop back in and drive to the next spot :lol: great flies

Such well tied flies, some really fishy stuff coming this month.

These are Egg Sucking Leeches and the such The lime leech will get melted mono filament eyes placed near the bend of the hook instead, shrimp style.

Funny... All the steelhead i usually catch is on Intruder or large streamers, Salmon on the other hand seem to eat the smaller single hook sparse ties.

So therefore from my experience, a meatier fly for steelhead can and does work while the sparse small non intrusive patterns can work for salmon so well. This perhaps is seasonal and the old adage of bright fly on a bright day and dull fly on a darker day is correct?

PA192028.jpg

PA192038.jpg

These have worked really well on east and west coast rivers.

Throw them in this Pool - I am on the far bank, the water is jello but we don't catch jelly fish!

P1010350.jpg

2TONEFOAMSWCRIPPLE-1-_zpse533bc58.jpg

2TONE FOAM SPLIT WING CRIPPLE, UV 2 – (Gray/Olive Baetis)…Howard Cole/Variant…Daiichi 1100, #18 – #22…

PT/TB ;)

plantetrout - you keep turning out excellent trout flies and up to a #22! Wondering if you use a magnifier?

Anyway, i was just playing with some camera settings on my cheap point and shoot and tying up some little streamers. Don't have all the materials for 'the sorcerer' yet but a copper coloured body i hear can be good. All out of proportion and not perfect as far as salmon flies so i just call them 'streamers'. The pink version will work for pink salmon.

Wing set, a bit out of whack.

PA202046.jpg

PA202045.jpg

Pink salmon candy!

PA202043.jpg

GP topping. Tied this very quickly.

PA202047.jpg

Okay pack my bags and waders and warm/ dry stuff, hit the water tomorrow, c'mon steelhead!

Oh sheesh, i forgot for swinging here - Grand River Ontario.

P8011745.jpg

Ok all these salmon patterns I had a few hours to kill so I dug out some feathers and played a bit damn I am rusty but it was fun this one is on a Mustad 2/0

post-10925-0-52924900-1350891126_thumb.jpg

Well done Riff! Nice job, even if you are "rusty" so you call it lol. Ive done a series of Ray Bergman's wets, and would love to do a couple classic salmon flies like that

Such well tied flies, some really fishy stuff coming this month.

These are Egg Sucking Leeches and the such The lime leech will get melted mono filament eyes placed near the bend of the hook instead, shrimp style.

Funny... All the steelhead i usually catch is on Intruder or large streamers, Salmon on the other hand seem to eat the smaller single hook sparse ties.

So therefore from my experience, a meatier fly for steelhead can and does work while the sparse small non intrusive patterns can work for salmon so well. This perhaps is seasonal and the old adage of bright fly on a bright day and dull fly on a darker day is correct?

PA192038.jpg

Flyfishin'Jam: I just love that style of fly. Something about it is just very cool to me! Keep em' coming

riff - that is sweeeeeet! Married wing is very nice, i have tried that and so far i have only made a giant mess, i cursed at the vice a lot and gave up, is there any secret for getting them to 'zipper' together properly? Awesome fly!

Ben, thankyou! They work well, you got me thinking more about the saltwater applications - so the hunt for materials begins.

While learning the winged wets, I tried Duck Quills first then goose shoulder. I found the marrying of wings to be pretty easy with the good feathers ( I liked nature's spirit brand). The goose was a little bit easier because It gave you more to work with. The hardest part for me was tying them down! One day, Ill order a bunch of feathers and do the married wing salmon fly.