Fly Tying
SILKHDH

FLY TYING TOOLS YOU MADE YOURSELF

Hello, I , like most of you, obviously tie my own flies and in those hours at the table have encountered problems that I overcome by making my own devise or tool. Also, out of bordom or financial reasons we decide to build our own fly tying station, vise, whatever. I personally have made my vises, tying station, and countless tools. I think it would be very interesting to see what items others out there have made themselves. The talent of a good woodworker or machinest is allways nice to see. Not just that, but the "MacGyver Factor" from garage engineering can make us all laugh. Please feel free to send totally goofy pics too. Like a vise made from vise grips ducktaped to a frying pan. Or a bobkin made from a chickens foot. Got it! Let your imagination, ingenuity, and sence of humor out here.

I just want add to my forum intro. above

I would like to see other peoples photo stations and set-ups for photographing flies. Homemade dremel lathes for poppers. These are examples of the stuff I would like to see, and others, I'm sure. Don't forget the funny stuff too.

Thats what I'm talkin about Chase Creek. Stuff we all can make and be proud of. I totally love the natural material look. Allways have , allways will. Deer antlers, wood, and a tooth. Totally cool.

GlueandApplictor001.jpg

Glue Applicator

RoyalSquirrel003.jpg

Close up applicator

nunya001.jpg

Fly Drier

clipsforflies002.jpg

Display clips...23 cents apiece

odsbodkins006.jpg

Needle bodkin

odsbodkins002.jpg

Pinpoint bodkin (glue applicator)

WireBobbin001.jpg

Homemade Wire Bobbin

Just a few.... a cup hook screwed into a pencil makes a passable dubbing twirler...

Murray

lykos33,

I have to know where you got the fly display clips for 23 cents a piece. I want some of those.

lykos33

I can see a whole set of tools made from old crank baits. That would be different. I plan on making a set from old split bamboo rods. Nice post lykos33. All these things are something someone else might want to make.

Good job!!!!!!!!!! I really hope this forum gives others ideas of things to make for themselves.

THAT WAS MY INTENSION. A PLACE FOR OTHERS TO GET GOOD IDEAS FOR MAKING THERE OWN TOOLS.

I HOPE THIS FORUM REALLY TAKES OFF.

I would like to see other peoples photo stations and set-ups for photographing flies. Homemade dremel lathes for poppers. These are examples of the stuff I would like to see, and others, I'm sure. Don't forget the funny stuff too.

This is my setup for photographing flies.

light_tent.jpg

Kimo

light_tent.jpg

Kimo

Hi Kimo. Would you explain your photo setup in more depth for me? I would like to photo some flies, too, with a point and shoot camera.

Thanks,

Bruce

light_tent.jpg

Kimo

Hi Kimo. Would you explain your photo setup in more depth for me? I would like to photo some flies, too, with a point and shoot camera.

Thanks,

Bruce

This is a plastic cup that I cut a slot out of. I just slip it over the head

of my vice and tape it there with drafting tape. I add a small mirror inside the cup to bounce light

back up into the fly.

The desk lamps are what I use for tying. One is placed directly over the cup. The other you see here

is aimed directly at the fly from the back. It creates a rim light that "separates" it from the background.

The camera is a CoolPix 5000 I got for $35 from ebay. It is

mounted on a camera stand and has a shutter release because I am

usually shooting at 1/15 of a second at 8.0.

It is mounted on a focusing rail to make fine adjustments.

This is the results.

281035_10151081933917003_1284545480_o.jpg

Kimo

Here is a handy little gadget that a friend showed me for holding eyes (doll, etc.) while attaching them to deer hair bugs, etc. It uses "Silly Putty" or something similar, such as the sticky eraser material, to hold the eyes. To use, one forces the hollow brass tube into a 'cake' of the "putty" to fill the tube (barrel). The brass rod (plunger)is used to force a small amount of the putty out of the end of the barrel, and the barrel is then touche to the front side of the eye, picking it up. The piece of soda straw over the barrel is slid down the barrel to push the eye off the end of the holder once in place.

post-8431-0-41260000-1351954911_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-34365400-1351954952_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-72481200-1351955682_thumb.jpg

lykos33,

I have to know where you got the fly display clips for 23 cents a piece. I want some of those.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/80-PCS-Hand-Free-Single-Hooks-Mini-Grabbers-Test-Clips-You-can-Specified-Colors-/270945981865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f15a395a9

ebay to the rescue

Murray

My regular fly drying rack made with bead chain that I've been having for a while, there is another chain on the other side and two crossways in the middle. However, a few days ago, I had this scrap piece of hardware cloth that I just couldn't throw away. I decided to extend my drying rack vertically. Now, I may have to actually take some hardware cloth off of the spool and make a full drying rack just out of it, works great.

The vise isn't so much as a hand made tool as it is just an idea.

The jig I got from Tom Nixon's book but I modified it with two sloped faces (actually, that one isn't pictured, this one is just as Tom gives the plans, the second one I made is double sided).

The dubbing loop twister really spins that thread tight.

I've got other stuff around that I've made but no pics, I guess being a fly tier you have to be part tinkerer and any tinkerer. Most tinkerers I know are tight asses and are selective about spending money so when they can tinker out a tool, you know we will.

Kirk

DSC_6130-1.jpg

"C" clamp/Pedestal vise combo.

RegalSm2.jpg

Popper face cutting jig and saw. As illustrated in TOM NIXON's book "FISHING AND FLYTYING FOR BASS AND PANFISH"

DSC_1444-1.jpg

Dubbing loop twister

KED_6608-1.jpg

I'm gonna' stick your feet to the fire, Kirk. YOU COPIED the the 'popper face cutting jig' from the late TOM NIXON's book "FISHING AND FLYTYING FOR BASS AND PANFISH"---the same place where I got the idea for mine! I may have to get my 'remote control' out for the package I mailed you Friday and hit the REVERSE button for not giving Tom due credit! Ha!

For the benefit of others reading this, Tom's book, printed in 1968, is, to the best of my knowledge, the first book ever published to include panfish, and is well worth reading. Older books do exist on Bass fishing.

Cheers!

Frank

..for not giving Tom due credit! Ha!...

Hey Frank, I wouldn't blame you if you did had I not gave him credit but I did in my opening paragraph. ("The jig I got from Tom Nixon's book but I modified it with two sloped faces.") I guess I should have duplicated it above the image as well.

I'll go up and edit it.

Kirk