Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SCOwens

Recent Ties

Just for note, I posted this in November Flies to, figured it would get more views over here

Searched the site for some new stuff to work with, figured I would post my renditions of what I tied/replicated, so if they look familiar thats why

P1030256.jpg

P1030258.jpg

This fly is a little fluffy from the side, if I tie it again, I will cut down on the material

P1030259.jpg

Broke out some Fish skulls I had purchased in the past and not really found a use for them, made this bait fish look pretty good

P1030261.jpg

This crab pattern is a more detailed than what I usually include in my crabish patterns

P1030262.jpg

This was my favorite out of the patterns I tied, a congo hair crab with a diagonal cut

P1030265.jpg

P1030264.jpg

Liked them so much I tied 3

P1030268.jpg

A little compliation of the past few months flies, bought some foam and put all the flies laying around on my desk together

P1030269.jpg

Yeah Troutguy your fiddler is included he was on my desk too haha

Critiques are appreciated, thanks everyone

SCO

Awesome work.

How do you like the Congo hair compared to EP fibers?

I've been pondering the switch, but these make me want to place an order right now.

Well if you have pondered you have waited WAY WAY to long, just suck it up and buy the Christmas Box for $48, if not you will regret it because you will want every color and at $48 what is that 8 packs of EP Fiber ..... its worth it and the quality is great. I am beginning to like the water silk also the Pheasant Tail color and Olive are great (thats what the skull head pattern is tied with) Also his bug legs you can't beat at $1 a pack, then the Flash $2 and you get double what you would get at the store in one of the $5 packages. Don't wait any longer .... the 2 weeks or so shipping is worth it. He even just had a halloween special he had Halloween Congo hair colors for $1 a pack.

Well if you have pondered you have waited WAY WAY to long, just suck it up and buy the Christmas Box for $48, if not you will regret it because you will want every color and at $48 what is that 8 packs of EP Fiber ..... its worth it and the quality is great. I am beginning to like the water silk also the Pheasant Tail color and Olive are great (thats what the skull head pattern is tied with) Also his bug legs you can't beat at $1 a pack, then the Flash $2 and you get double what you would get at the store in one of the $5 packages. Don't wait any longer .... the 2 weeks or so shipping is worth it. He even just had a halloween special he had Halloween Congo hair colors for $1 a pack.

Christmas Box on the way.

Being new to tying, I tend to 'waste' a lot of material with my experiments. At around $1.00 for a color I won't feel near as bad about my failed baitfish.

Thanks for the tip!

don't wrap single clumps use the fold back method, and always remember less is more with this stuff if you want a step by step of how I do mine I could provide you with one

Hey SCO....On the bottom row of the multi fly pic there is a fly that looks like it may be a sand flea imitation. I have tied a couple but have yet to have the oppotunity to try them out. Mine don't look as good as the one pictured. Would you mind giving a couple of details on it and have you used it with any success?

Just for note, I posted this in November Flies to, figured it would get more views over here

SCO

So, Scott ... posting the pictures on two different threads. Hmmmm Tying great looking flies and catching fish with them isn't enough, you've started fishing for compliments?

Ok Sir Owens,

I have added you to a ever growing list of tyers that I "dis"-like. I have just received my BaitFish Box and have a Christmas Box on the way. I was surprised with the amount of material in the BFB, it will take me a while to go thru it all.

Great looking flies.

Craig

NE North Carolina

@Gravytrain, I get disliked for recommending great products haha. I know anyone that has bought material and purchases that box will not be disappointed, especially for saltwater. I have purchased many packs of EP Fiber before and his product is just better.

@Mike, yeah fishing for compliments, actually this one got a lot more feedback than the November flies, not much feedback for Salty stuff in that forum

@ditz, I didn't tie the bottom one, I did tie the one above it, it didn't turn out as good due to the wrong foam size. I have yet to try it though, although the guy who I purchased the first one from uses it all the time in the surf with a 14' Spey Rod and catches LARGE black drum on it, also the pompano eat it. I can do a SBS if you would like. Here is a link with a better picture

https://www.lowcountryflyshop.com/products-page/redfish-flies/page/4/#!prettyPhoto

Black drum, eh? I've always wondered if they'd hit a crab fly, but I've never talked to anyone who's actually done it. That's good info to keep in mind. ;)

Like you, seeing is believing when it comes to catching black drum on a fly. I have caught many drum on the bottom using live or fresh dead cut shrimp, crabs and clams. They will not bite on a empty clam shell, crab or shrimp shell with no meat left inside. Even when freelining a live shrimp or crab, they will not chase them or try to eat them unless they are right under their nose. My conclusion is that this particular individual is throwing out a crab pattern (with the hook riding up) to a large group of drum and is "snagging" them in the lips when they swimm over his fly or is using some kind of scent application on his flies. Note: Be careful going to that other site- It has a virus or a security problem- Phil

My puter did not like that site either. Pompano in the surf would be my target with that mole crab and yes a good close up pic would be great as well as a recipe. I don't spey but maybe it will work with normal flycasting. :rolleyes: I am sure I can muck up something that looks similar to the original fly.

I will get some pictures of the fly close up tonight and see if my friend can send me pictures of fish he has caught on that fly. I will post them after wards. As to the site, I haven't had any issue out of it being flagged or anything.