Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
switch10

Custom fly rod hand wrapper that I built...

What Steve and others have said will all work. A few years ago for a friend I rewrapped some new guides on an UL spinning rod with nothing more than some tread that had tension applied by a couple of books and I used my knees to control the rod. I used only simple wraps and it was no ultra pretty job but he is still using the rod as I wrapped it. I will say it was a real pain to do it that way but I had no interest in doing anymore rods and only did it as a favor to him.

Great! Thank you for the replies! It's exactly what I was looking for. Steve, what if I just spun the whole thing around, and wrapped with the thread closest to me? Do you think that will work?

I was hoping I didn't make the arms too tall... That's an easy fix anyway. What height would be considered standard? Just as long as I can comfortably rest my forearms on the bench while wrapping?

You don't want anything in front of you because it would just get in the way. I'd simply glue a guide low and in front. That is how all commercially sold wrappers are made. Far as the height you'll want to sit it on the table you plan to wrap on, and in the chair you plan to use all the time. Then see how it feels. If your table is low then you might be okay, but if it's standard height table then just see where your hands end up with your forearms comfortably rested on the table edge and you might end up taking a couple inches off.

Switch10...

Steeldrifter's comments about working height cannot be over emphasized! Wrapping a rod is like tying flies; you want things at a height that does not require one to either have to 'reach up', thus prematurely tiring the shoulders, or 'slumping' over, which rapidly gets to the back. If you tie flies, you should have no problem at arriving at a proper height.

I find that for me, having things at about eye level,and being able to rest my elbows on the 'table/bench' top is just about right.

Again, this is something that each has to ascertain for themselves.

Cheers!

Mikechell...

There are those who would disagree with you!!!!

Cheers!'

Frank

Sometimes it seems like EVERYONE disagrees with me, usually when I KNOW I am right. I just don't understand why everyone doesn't just admit that and see things my way???