Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

hook eye problems

whenever i tye a fly i cover up the hook eye so i cant thread my fly line on it. in the end its a useless fly. i try to keep my distance from the eye but i still end up getting to close. Anyone have the same problem and found a way to keep hook eye clean.

Thanks

When I tied this ugly thing, I ended up with too much thread at the eye. The picture is taken with my bodkin pushed through the eye, it wasn't for looks.

I used the bodkin needle to push the thread back after I put head cement on it. By leaving the needle in there until the Sally's had set, it left the hole open for tying onto.

The best answer is to, of course, learn to control your thread better. Maybe you are using too large of a diameter thread when tying. I was using regular braided fishing line when I tied the fly above, and it was way too think a thread for the application.

Good luck.

Sure, stop doing that. Seriously, you are probably in the habit of using too many wraps of thread. Start using less. Also, try starting the thread in the front a bit back from the eye, and then stop at that point NO MATTER WHAT. After a time, it will be second nature. Any unuseable flies, clean off with a razor blade and tie again. It is a common problem for beginners, and just something you are going to have to overcome yourself with practice.

I always used to crowd my fly's head, too. Getting the proportions right, after practice and tying a few made a big difference. I still do it every once in a while, especially on a new pattern or if I've been away from the vise for a while.

Regards,

Scott

Take whatflys advise

Depending on the material, there's no need to tie anything down with 500 wraps of thread

3-5 turns is usually enough and a 3 turn whip finish or half hitches and you're done

For me, the advise to start back from the eye was the most helpful in getting eye crowding under control. I always start one or two eye lengths back from the eye, and that bit of bare hook helps keep things from creeping forward. I still will have problems when trying new patterns, and as also suggested above, it often takes a few attempts to get the proportions down. As is usually the case, practice is the key.

Mike.

You can also take your thumbnail and gently compact the thread back away from the eye. Don't be too aggressive or you will stick your finger with the point of the hook.

Of course everything everyone above has said is true. If that doesn't work, what I'm thinking as a guide or tool to force you to keep away from the eye is to fold a piece of masking tape over the hook eye so that you can't wrap over it or maybe stick a paperclip into the hook eye. Eventually, the above mentioned tying practices have to be employed and will work.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Kirk

Ditto on every thing said and tie with as small a thread diameter as possible to hold the material. I tie with thread no larger than 8/0 to 14/0 but most flies I tie are from 16 to 22. Also, try using less bulky materials if possible. Everyone goes through this problem and you will get through it. Keep at it.

Jim B

All of the above is good advice. I was taught you should need no more than 3 wraps to secure materials to the hook. I tie with 14/0 thread. I tie mostly soft hackles and traditional Trout flies, so that size is more than sufficient.

If you are having a problem with material blocking the hook eye, try heating a bodkin with a lighter and push it thru the hole. That will burn away the material and leave a nice clean eye. It also works with thread IF the thread has a layer of Sally Hansen's on it. I've saved many a fly with a hot bodkin.

For me, the advise to start back from the eye was the most helpful in getting eye crowding under control. I always start one or two eye lengths back from the eye, and that bit of bare hook helps keep things from creeping forward. I still will have problems when trying new patterns, and as also suggested above, it often takes a few attempts to get the proportions down. As is usually the case, practice is the key.

Mike.

Good advice. I was taught to start the thread one eye length back and not tie anything in that space until the very end. It gives you a visual marker of where to end the fly.

As stated above,Just use less thread.. as you get better and better at thread control your heads will start to become micro ;P

this will also save money on thread spools O.o

As shown in this picture.

post-25611-0-80059000-1353085277_thumb.jpg