Fly Tying
flyrodman

Help Please

Alright guys, this is my first post here after lurking for quite some time. I have some questions about flies for Pike and Smallmouth in Canada. If you were to compile a top five list for your most productive flies, what would they be? I hope I am not asking too much. Thanks!

I've never fished in Canada, but Smallmouths are a favorite of mine. I would expect they'll take similar flies no matter where they're found.

I've never fished for or caught a Pike, but have caught Pickerel numerous times on various flies. There are some really good looking Pike flies in the Fly Database tied by various members. The Murdich Minnow in a large size would probably do well on Pike.

Here's what I would choose for Smallmouths if I were limited to 5.

Topwater: Sneaky Pete, just like this one! thumbm_img3f68e373927d2.jpg

Clouser Minnows: 100_4521.jpg

Murdich Minnows: 100_4588.jpg

Black Stone Nymph/Hellgrammite: 100_4109-1.jpg

Dahlberg Divers: 100_4373.jpg

I have fished for N. Pike a few times in minnesota.......All I used were bunny strip streamers, bith single and double....they are pretty durable, just a little bulky when wet.....as far as smallies, I would agree w/tidewater's selections.....my 1st pick would probably be wooly buggers in olive or black followed by clousers, chartreuse over white my 1st pick followed bu black over white for my second.......I have never used the Murdich minnows for Pike, but I would think they would be killers w/the size/flash, plus they typically don't hold water so are much easier to cast in bigger sizes....

Mike

I sent these to a friend in Canada last year and he caught some 3 - 5 lb smallmouth on the frog poppers and some nice pike on the spoon flies, not sure which one he used though.

Kirk

DSC_0360.jpg

For Smallies up here to really simplify it, you would need 3 items.

Some sort of crayfish fly pattern, this season at lake of the woods they were absolutely everywhere and the smallies vomiting up crawdads all over the place when you hooked them. The crayfish flies slayed them.

A Nice Baitfish pattern, something that represents your locally found forage. Such as clousers, ep minnows, all sorts.

A popper, foam, deer hair, anything.

There you go, kind of from bottom to top. Other things like leeches and nymphs you can try but those 3 are pretty much what i wouldn't go without.

I have caught a lot of northern SM and most of them on Jig, crankbaits, and 1/4oz Creek Chub Plunkers. I never fly fished them up there but a noisy popper would be a must have and some hair bugs too. For bait fish imitations I would carry some in all shades of green on top and creme or white on bottom and probably some flash in the middle. Crayfish would be good but in the area we fished there was a lot of deep water so you may need a sinking line of some sort for crayfish and helgramites. I bet muddlers would work well and a black one would probably pass for a helgramite. If you are fishing low pressure water lots of flash will work well for SM and pike. There is some great fishing up there. Have fun.

I'd be fishing the crayfish on the bottom just like you would a jig so preferable you have an upturned hook pattern, also been using weedguards on those, still you are bound to hang up quite a few.

Also depends if you are lake or river, in the river it can be quite useful to have the crayfish under an indicator. In the lake just use a sink tip line so you can get down along with those dumbell eyes.