Fly Tying
benmz

Stonefly nymph

Yep, I'm in. pattern TBD.

Jimboha!

I finally decided on my pattern: Chain Gang Stonefly Nymph in Black on #8 hook.

Here's a couple of photos of one, but I've got a few more mods to work out before I start cranking them out!

View from the top (you can't quite see the front of the fly)

post-37740-0-66503100-1357104632_thumb.jpg

And from the side (Notice how the chain body flops around so readily: that gives the stonefly that nice wriggling action!)

Jimboha!

i'm still waiting on some materials...you'd think that with spirit river only being 20 minutes away that it wouldn't be a pain in the ars to get some materials ordered through the local shop..

I tied furiously over the weekend on the chain gang stoneflies and they are finished. They look real buggy. (My wife claimed to have bug nightmares after seeing a couple of these pattens do their jiggle. Looks like I will have to track down some more black metal chain...

I need an address soon so I can send them before I change my mind and keep them ALL!!! :-)

Thank you.

Jimboha!

My flies are tagged, packed, and ready to go. I just gotta remember to drop them in the box tomorrow.

Jimboha!, I'm glad you decided to tie the chain gang stone. Ever since i saw that pattern in a magazine awhile back i've wanted to tie one. For some reason I keep thinking it looks too difficult, or something, i don't know. I think having an example in front of me to look at will make me finally suck it up and tie one.

Jimboha!, I'm glad you decided to tie the chain gang stone. Ever since i saw that pattern in a magazine awhile back i've wanted to tie one. For some reason I keep thinking it looks too difficult, or something, i don't know. I think having an example in front of me to look at will make me finally suck it up and tie one.

Yeah, they are fun, but tricky in places. Cut off the chain length of 5 balls. Then clamp forceps in between 3rd and 4th balls, and use heavy pliers in the forcep handles to hold in place like a vise - then tie thread in between 4th and 5th (and watch out for the spinning connector), and finally with some dubbing to fill in. Then the tail biots will sit right. I tie all the tails first, then all the bodies, then connect connect them all. Tying the chain to the hook is a pain: prep hook with figure eights to build up a little saddle for two chain balls, then hold on top and start lashing. I let the chain fall to the side, cross-wise and wrap threads loosely. At some point I carefully turn chain to be in-line with the hook shank and wrap to death. Lastly, always apply glue to that area.

For my next batch, since that last part is so hard, I'm going to try crimping or denting the two chain balls where they sit on the hook. When I get more chain, I'll report on how good that works.

And I'm still waiting for an address... All boxed up and ready to go.

Jimboha!

Hey swappers, I have 4 sets of flies plus mine. We've got only about a week or so left. If anyone has any issues getting their flies out let me know.

-Ben

i re ordered supplies that should be in today or tomorrow so i should be able to hammer em out this weekend

have mine arrived yet? if they arent there by tuesday I'll be getting concerned. I would have expected them there several days ago. please let me know.

got my supplies but they didn't send wing case material GGRRrrrrr!!! hopefully have em done this week.