Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackaig

Stumped! What is this for?

I've got a lot of ideas, but none of them make any sense.... I don't know what the function of a double-barreled bobbin is. :blink:

In 30+ years of tying, I can not remember ever saying "Dam' ! If only I had another tube on my bobbin!"

There must be a reason.

I might just get one as an example of a useless tool. I really can't think how I'd use it. I know a wood turner who could make me some double bobbins. Then I could wind two different threads on the spool. Changing threads without changing bobbin holders might be a good party trick for demos.

Cheers,

C.

Coffee warning would have been nice :D

Whoever came up with that is probably on something stronger than coffee ;)

C.

you can put a tube between the spool holders an put on 2 spools of pearsall sized bobbins

inset a different color thread in each tube ant tie a 2 tone thread body or use 2 different color wires

can be used as a travel bobbin holder carrying 2 colors of thread

imagine the possibilities

c&f triple bobbin holder

rio_cnf_61635_3_in_1_bobbin_kit_lg.jpg

Just a wild guess... But might be handy for split thread tying...for dubbing??

I can see UTC thread 140 in there, split the tread, insert, and voila ?

Think Flytire hit it but I can't see a mass market for it. A two spool wide bobbin can't sit in the hand all that well.

Just a wild guess... But might be handy for split thread tying...for dubbing??

I can see UTC thread 140 in there, split the tread, insert, and voila ?

If you tried to do that it would foul up very quickly (UTC isn't wound flat). There are some threads with two strands twisted together, you could use one of those.

It could be used for tying Dark Watchets. They use orange and purple Pearsall's twisted together. Or maybe with two small spools of wire for making dubbing brushes. Then again I think that would be easier with one.

Cheers,

C.

My bet is that flytire has it correct, as that was my first and immediate reaction. It is not so much for the fly tier as it is for the rod builder who makes 2-thread wraps, each a different color. FT's noted "[P]earsall's [silk]thread spools" are half as long as a standard spool; making it possible to mount two spools at a time in this bobbin. Rod builders, especially the spin, bait casting, and saltwater rod builders often make wraps of several different colors all at one time (something that is typically considered to be 'verboten' on a fly rod). Many of these individuals have come up with some very ingenious ways to hold the thread spools, and 'payout' their thread, and the requisite mechanism for keeping them all aligned as they are wrapped to the rod. This is just such a device. I see no application whatsoever for the fly tier.

I am wondering if this could be used for a woven fly. Instead of loading two bobbins with contrasting colors of floss and then weaving with them and trying to keep even tension, just load the two colors on the same bobbin and go at it. I can imagine, maybe, that you could tie the floss in and then twist the bobbin and go below the shank, then twist again and come above and then twist again and so on. I'm staring at two old bobbins right now and am thinking about solder and modifications... This might just be another one of my crazy ideas, but then again. Worst case, you will have a really mean looking bobbin laying around and you just can't go wrong with a "double-barrel" anything... Take Care, Tony

Now, if it was one of those bobbins, that have an axle and the screwy bit to hold the spools, I could see it working. But with those sprung types, surely the spools would go flying off every which way when you apply any tension?

Instead of loading two bobbins with contrasting colors of floss and then weaving with them and trying to keep even tension, just load the two colors on the same bobbin and go at it.

how would you do the weaving or tying the overhand knot weave?

flytire, I wasn't meaning an overhand or granny weave, but the weave that uses two bobbins and you go over and around and then under and around. I know the name of the weave but I'm having a stupid moment and can't remember it. I taped two bobbins together to get the "double barrel" thing and just tied the floss in and gave it a try. I first twisted the bobbin clockwise above the hook and then brought the floss down on each side of the hook. Then I twisted again and brought the floss back up. The problem was that I had to push the twist down to the hook because it tried to stay at the end of the bobbins. I managed to get something that was resembling a weird sort of weave, but didn't work like I hoped. I have added a few new words to the English language however. I love to weave flies but this turned out to be a pain in the rear and is not worth the effort. At least my wife is sure that I have finally crossed that imaginary line. All she saw was me looking confused with two bobbins and green masking tape stuck everywhere. I will stick to two bobbins and leave the double barrel to Granny Clampet. Take Care, and if you have high blood pressure, don't try this at home...Tony