Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
netabrookie

Now Taking Reindeer Orders

I really hate to resort to this, but money is tight and I plan to take out two reindeer on Christmas eve. I have given it a lot of thought and this might be a way for me to make a few bucks and supply some fellow tiers with some reindeer hair. I don't really like to hunt anymore but I am running out of options. I am hoping that Santa will deliver over a lot of the world before he finally makes a pass through Virginia. If I am correct then his sleigh will be much lighter and only six reindeer can pull it the rest of the way. If he is using Rudolph and has a total of nine reindeer then pulling the sleigh shouldn't be a problem if I eliminate two of them. I really like the little reindeers and don't really want to do this but times are hard. If you have a favorite reindeer just let me know before Christmas eve and I will try to spare it. Try not to hate me for doing what I have to do. I know from this point on that I will never ever recieve another Christmas present because Santa will put me on his s__t list and write my name in red letters. I am going for head shots so it will be quick and painless and I don't plan on mounting either of them. Its bad enough that I have to do this and I sure don't want Dasher or Dancers head on my wall to remind me daily.

Take Care and try not to judge me, locked and loaded Tony

You can definately take out Vixen and Cupid. Last time I saw a vixen, Cupid paid a visit and I was in sorts of trouble. So yeah! paint my name on the bullets and fire away.

Whooo hoooo !!! If you get one, I'll buy some of the hide and the tail. If the reindeer fly, imagine how well the dry flies will float !!!

Nah, they leap out the water just as the trout appears. You need to use a big heavy bead head and make them struggle on the bottom.

Tony, I've got all the deer hair I can use, but I'll be happy to take some of the meat off your hands. Santa put me on the blacklist a long time ago, so there's nothing to worry about on that score.

I have been thinking again (which usually isn't good). Its Christmas time and I would feel bad about charging someone for something that didn't cost me anything except a couple bullets. Piker20 has a good point- I have known a vixen or two and cupid has always got me in trouble. Mikechell had a good point until Piker shot him down, but still deserves some hair and a tail. Riff is a great fellow and he will get all the leg hair he wants. Peterjay, I envy you. I subbed for Sears out of Richmond a few years back doing replacement windows. I have worked in Chincoteague, Melfa and Cape Charles and I loved it around there. I never made it any farther east to your neck of the woods but Cape Charles was pretty enough for me. I guess, if you don't mind, that we could meet in the middle somewhere. I think Danville is close, and if you have never traveled Rt 58 west, you are missing a pretty ride. I just hope I don't get pulled over because I don't think I could explain all the reindeer meat and I know you can only buy big game permits for whitetail deer in Virginia. This is all based on the assumption that I don't choke up and get teary eyed and not have the heart to squeeze the trigger. There was a couple of the reindeer however, that was total jerks to Rudolph in the old classic so I may not have a problem putting a sight on them. Take Care Guys, Tony, the reindeer slayer

Nah, they leap out the water just as the trout appears. You need to use a big heavy bead head and make them struggle on the bottom.

Oh, Piker ... you bring to mind the ultimate fly!!! And only reindeer (Santa's reindeer, to be exact) hair will work. I remember reading, perhaps on this site, of watching mayflies and midges hovering over the water surface. How they dab the water surface laying eggs.

That's what I'll tie using the hair ... perfectly weighted flies that don't actually touch the water. Then I'll develop the method for making them dip down and just touch the surface.

I can't wait to get that hair !!!!

well I will still take the hair but good fortune finally shown on my ass today the day before the last day of muzzle loader season finally showed me the first deer in a shooting lane of the year so I took it a nice 170 lbs doe with the prettiest tail I have seen in a long time with white hair over 7 inches long and then a band of a redish brown then a dark grey a total bonus package here

Horseshoes, my wife said pretty much the same thing. Mybadhabit, I won't forget you. Joking aside, I am sure that I have some good hair for comparaduns around here and would gladly send you some if it wasn't for the CITES thing. I have just stretched and dried the hides but it is illegal for me to mail something that isn't tanned I think. If you happen to be in VA though, just send me a message and you will be covered up with all sorts of deer hair. Paul, I'm really glad that you got a nice doe. I thought about trying for one behind where I live, but I only have a small freezer and don't know what I would do with all the meat. There is so many tracks across the creek that it looks like a deer highway. Its funny to watch my wifes cat running from window to window to watch the deer moving around. Seven inch hair is awesome because some of the deer here looks like dwarfs. Take Care, Tony

Seven inch hair is awesome because some of the deer here looks like dwarfs. Take Care, Tony

They must be Santas little helpers?

Actually you can mail most anything within the confines of the lower 48, it's crossing international borders that cause major problems, trust me on that one. I have sent all kinds of stuff around the states, and never had a problem, and a lot of it wasn't tanned.

Blane