Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Had a great first experience

I went to my local fly shop today to get ingredients for a light cahill. The guy at the shop was awesome! He showed me what tools to buy, and even advised me to put one back cause it wasn't recquired. He helped me find a good hackle, and when he didn't have the dubbing or feathers I needed he went into his own personal stash and gave me more than what I needed and wouldn't let me pay for them. They are also a ski shop so a lot of their stuff wasn't out right now but he told me in a few weeks when they get re organized from X-mas they'll have a tying table set up where customers can come in and they'll help them with any problems they are having. headbang.gif If any of you are ever in Gaylord Michigan the Alphorn Shop is has great customer service biggrin.gif

That's great. Always nice to hear about flyshops that treat the customer right. So many try to sell you what you don't need. Congrats.

I have to say there are a few shops like that around the tailwaters in Arkansas, too. Last one I went to was the Fly Shop at Rim Shoals. Four of us in a group went in together. These guys are sponsors for our club and newsletter, but I don't think that had a lot to do with our experience. We were looking at the flies and one of the owners told us he was tying a new fly. He gave us each a couple to put in our fly boxes to try that day. Wanted a report back on how we did with them. Then, the other owner asked us if we needed anything for our auction this spring. He had some jackets that were not moving and gave us one for our auction.... without us asking for it!

I think you'll find that the smaller fly shops that are not chains are glad to help and not just take your money. I do still shop some at Cabela's and Bass Pro, but I'm moving more and more to the small shops.

makes you want to go to michigan

Nice place to visit , but who in their right mind would live there!

You've got to like the one on one you get in the privately owned fly shops.

BFR

Gotta like it, There isnt even a fly shop arround here. It sounds like you are going to learn alot quickly. This will keep you from making mistakes and forming bad habbits.

Here is something you should do, keep some of your first flies, A few years from now you can look back on them, and see how much you have learned. (keepsakes)

Here is something you should do, keep some of your first flies, A few years from now you can look back on them, and see how much you have learned. (keepsakes)

One of the things he told me was to never lose my first fly cause someday I'll look back and laugh about it. Anyone have plans for a fly frame?

When I first started tying I was looking for some hackle for a woolly bugger. This one guy sold me a 1/4 cape of whiting dry fly hackle. Not quite right wink.gif I don't go back there very often.

Then there is this other shop where I said to the manager I was thinking of getting into fly fishing. He then talked to me for an hour and half on the virtues of fly fishing vs what the bubba's do. Next time I see him he goes: Hey bubba, are ya fly fishing yet? Funny guy, I like him biggrin.gif

Always good to hear of a really good personable fly shop. My own shop here in VT is excellent, they sound just like yours. Always willing to help, free tying lessons every other Saturday and they do have a rod making class but that one costs but just the materials.

Tight Lines,

Fatman

Hey skunked, ask them if they have a tying class or seminar. If they dont it sounds like the guy you talked too will help with some instruction when you need it. I tried several times to get started tying but not a whole lot made sense till I took a tying class, then BANG the light came on and I havent stopped.

Dont be afraid to ask any question. Thats the biggest lesson.

I did ask and he said they used to but his brother ( who did them) has bad arthritis now. So thats why they have the table set up in the shop now so you can just come in whenever

Hey skunked, ask them if they have a tying class or seminar. If they dont it sounds like the guy you talked too will help with some instruction when you need it.

Great service, nice people. Good recomendation. You should print these responses and take them to the shop, couldn't hurt.