Fly Tying
Fred H.

Heros in a half shell

Clever and cute! Even my wife liked them.

Now, how do they fish?

Thanks , I have not fished them yet.

Fred

Very nice Fred!

I bet they like pizza. wink.png

Thanks buddy . Your blog is looking great.

Fred

Fred what hook did you use on them? Brandy wants me to tie her a couple as ear rings

Paul , I had to use different size hooks . Chose your shell first and then find a hook that works with it. Are you planning to tie Brandy's earrings with a full hook and then cut off the barb below the bend ?

Wavey1988 , I think my biggest problem would be finding a GI small enough.

Thanks , Fred

Thanks for giving me another great idea fellows. I guess I am dumb or just overlook the obvious sometimes. I tie flies that I turn into ear rings and sell them at my mom's craft shop. I always snip off the hook point and then hit it with a dremel for a couple seconds to remove the burrs from snipping. Then I try to find beads that will fit snug but be able to slide just over the mashed barb. After I have found the beads then I try to carefully glue them in place. I try to pick a bead color that will work with or compliment the fly. If I glue the bead just right there is no metal hook showing at the end and it still looks like a fly. If the bead were to fall off then it still shouldn't hurt because the point is gone and rounded off by the dremel tool. A couple of the streamer style flies would have looked better if I had just cut the hook as you mentioned. Now I hope my mom dosn't ever see Fred's turtles because I will be stuck at my vise for ever trying to figure them out so she can have them in her little shop. Take Care, Tony

Paul they look great. Your wife will either be chased around shopping centres by PETA or you're gonna have a list of orders

Well done Paul. Sometimes you have to eat alot of pistachios to find just the right shells, not a bad problem to have .

again nice job.

Fred