Fly Tying
gpd4

#20 or smaller swap

Yeah...I was trying to solve that problem, too. I may do it with mono through the hook eye or around the bend?

I cut pieces of paper about 1/4 x 2", wrote name and fly type on there, then hooked the fly into it.I really enjoyed this. Wish I had better quality to offer but at least I'm not ashamed of my work now. When I started back into retying some of the early offerings were not much to look at, and not even sure a bluegill would have tried one of those. Now, after a couple of months of playing around on the vise the flies are starting to look a little better. Thing is, for this tie the only thread I have is 6/0 and it proved a problem. Will need to get in some finer thread and learn a gentler touch since I still break 6/0 occasionally.

Got a great looking set of griffith's gnats from fishingbobnelson today in the mail.

I cut pieces of paper about 1/4 x 2", wrote name and fly type on there, then hooked the fly into it.I really enjoyed this. Wish I had better quality to offer but at least I'm not ashamed of my work now. When I started back into retying some of the early offerings were not much to look at, and not even sure a bluegill would have tried one of those. Now, after a couple of months of playing around on the vise the flies are starting to look a little better. Thing is, for this tie the only thread I have is 6/0 and it proved a problem. Will need to get in some finer thread and learn a gentler touch since I still break 6/0 occasionally.

I was thinking about small sections of straw where I would slide the fly in and tape both ends. A little permanent marker with the tag and there you have it.

I did wire through the eye and taped my toe tag, which dwarfs the fly, to the wire. I just finished up the last couple flies tonight, it was hurting my eyes and blood pressure to do more than 4 at a time.

The hardest thing on mine was keeping head cement out of the hook eye, no matter what I did it seemed to flow into there.

I wish I had a cool name, but I never christen my flies really. It's a woven nymph dangling from a dandelion parachute. Normally when I tie these for the fly box, they're on a #16, and usually have a bit more flash. Hook real estate was at a premium and my attempts to put a flashback on it were not really that great so I left it off. I'd go with a lighter green next time as well for more contrast. The only other green I had was neon.

Here it is, the brown looks black though in the body...post-37716-0-34125100-1358293432_thumb.jpg

How about some scuds on a 37160 #20? If so, I'm in.

Jimboha!

PS That 37160 hook is strange - it's a lot larger than a 20, but the gape is really small. Is that cheating?

I did wire through the eye and taped my toe tag, which dwarfs the fly, to the wire. I just finished up the last couple flies tonight, it was hurting my eyes and blood pressure to do more than 4 at a time.

The hardest thing on mine was keeping head cement out of the hook eye, no matter what I did it seemed to flow into there.

I wish I had a cool name, but I never christen my flies really. It's a woven nymph dangling from a dandelion parachute. Normally when I tie these for the fly box, they're on a #16, and usually have a bit more flash. Hook real estate was at a premium and my attempts to put a flashback on it were not really that great so I left it off. I'd go with a lighter green next time as well for more contrast. The only other green I had was neon.

Here it is, the brown looks black though in the body...attachicon.gifIMAG0578.jpg

That looks like a great fly! As far at your tying goes get yourself a magnifier lamp that is adjustable. I have been using one for years and it was not difficult to get used to. You will thank yourself for getting it.

bigdewey and Jimboha! you're in and we're full! cbpedigo21, normally, I'd say the more the merrier, but I've already recieved at least 1 set of flies (not been home to check the mail yet today). I'll hit you up for the next one -

Flies are due in St. Louis, MO three weeks from today (2/5/13).

Thank you all for joining.

That looks like a great fly! As far at your tying goes get yourself a magnifier lamp that is adjustable. I have been using one for years and it was not difficult to get used to. You will thank yourself for getting it.

I've relied on youth thus far, but I can tell the magnifier isn't too far down the road if i keep tying #20 flies all the time. If they were simple flies I would have been fine, this one just had enough complexity and unforeseen problems scaling it down to really push my tying ability. It was fun though!