Fly Tying
gpd4

#20 or smaller swap

Nothing today, either...

I'm going to start sorting flies and hope the last set shows up tomorrow or Monday. I have a couple of sets of swap flies to send out and I'm trying to minimize my contact with the post office. It's almost as bad as going to the DMV...

The wayward package from Coolstreams arrived this afternoon! I'll do my best to get them in the mail back to you all on Monday.

Sounds great. Your comment about PO and DMV is funny to me because in a small town with very limited use of them I never have to wait in line at either. At Christmas when I lived up north there were three windows and lines at every window before Christmas. Here I walk in before Christmas to send something and have to call the postmistress out from the back where she's probably doing embroidery. And the DMV is pretty much the same except the gal who runs is about 95 years old and the equipment she works on (computer and printers) is not much younger. It's a slow process to get things done but if there's a line of more than one you go home and come back an hour later. I don't miss the city for sure. I always a small town guy and only lived in city to keep a job. Now retired I'm in small town in western OK that has a population lower than the average count of a city high rise.

OK - the flies were sorted and repacked last night and delivered to the post office this afternoon. Unfortunately, when I got home to clear off the rest of my desk, I noticed that one of the flies I tied and tagged was laying loose on the table. All the envelopes were already sealed up, so I have no idea who got shorted. Please let me know when you get them and also whichever of you was the (un)lucky one to be shorted my contribution, please let me know and I'll mail it out to you.

gpd4, thanks for all the *great* communication and updates. Looking forward to seeing all the flies.

Got mine in the mail today! Nice valentines day present to myself.

I just want to say, you guys have steadier hands and better eyesight than I do, Switch 10 and SSC in particular... the fine detail is exceptional. Not that anyones are bad, just those two really had me jealous.

GPD4, not to add further confusion, but I got 13 flies in my box. Half the toe tags were off, so I spent alot of time reading the forum and matching up toe tags (thank god for the few pictures that people posted, it made life easier). So when I got them all sorted, I have a Peg's Midge from VicRider extra. I hope that's not for another one of the swaps you were doing.

Wife just walked in. Here is her review of the flies.

Jacktjl: I like that one, what is it? (I point out toe tag), Oh that was nice of him to label it for you. (I point out they are all labelled). Oh...

Fishing bob nelson: Oh it's so cute! (in voice reserved for puppies and babies)

Coolstreams: I want this one. (mumble because I know it's going to turn up in her fly box)

GPD4: Why is the writing on the label so small? (Probably because he matched the hook size with the font size...) That makes sense...

atxdiscgolfer: I want this one too. (crap... I need to hide CDC patterns from her, I don't know why she likes them so much)

VicRider: Oh this will catch for sure.

Flychaser: I think this one is my favorite

Jburge: This guy was smart to put the hook in foam, why didn't you do that?

I received all of mine today as well and all were very nice as expected, i hope that everyone likes my CDC Puff Midge. I also received 13 flies, it looks as if Vicrider sent everyone an extra fly!

Great looking box of flies arrived today in NV!smiley-gen014.gif Lots of tiny troutslayers for sure!!emoticon-misc-003.gif Thanks again GPD4 for hosting this microswap!!!smiley-hug006.gif

So this morning I just around to checking what came in yesterday's mail... a fabulous set of flies. Great job everyone, and thanks gpd4 for hosting. Really fun swap.

"So when I got them all sorted, I have a Peg's Midge from VicRider extra. I hope that's not for another one of the swaps you were doing."

Nope, been practicing and you reap the rewards of my attempts at tying flies that are presentable. Or at least I have good hooks if you want to slice the fly and save the hook.smile.png That was a tie similar to the G Gnat I found in another blog article about Peg catching trout in a midge hatch no one else could.

Got mine in mail today and I saw plenty of fish catching material in there for sure. I did have what looks like a missing tag. The tags were all on the flies but there was a sneaky little CDC puff in there with no tag and no loose tag. Checking the list I believe this belongs to ATXdiscgolfer. Oh wait, it USED to belong to ATX...Now it's all MINE.

I'm gonna be honest about these flies gentlemen. I am returning to the trout game enthusiastically after years or sling spinnerbaits and jig and pigs for bass in metro lakes and fishing tournaments around MN and WI. I spent some time on some rivers and tailwaters this past fall and found out I can still fling a fly fairly well, controlling drifts and reading water was something I learned years ago and it came back rapidly. BUT...darned if I could hook fish with these invisible hooks. I don't think I used a hook smaller than 3/0 in 20 some years and a pickup meant "Cross their eyes". I even spent time with a guide on the White River and he tried hard to help me out but reflexes always took over and I ripped the fly away from I don't know how many stockers and some nice fish. Oh, I caught some, but my percentage was horrendous. I'm reading and learning and will try to develop the wrist twitch set, the downstream set, the light lift set, and some others that might raise my percentage.

Anyway, thanx for running this swap and letting me join this swap. As I get into more and more swaps my abilities will improve and someone may one day catch a fish on a fly I tied...since I can't. rolleyes.gif