Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

Anyone ty a patern that looks like a Crappie

I have seen many sunfish pattern. I am looking to be able to tie a crappie that would be roughly 3" long. I fish a Spillway and often when reeling in panfish the pike and musky come out of no where and smack them. I had caught of few this way. I really want to create a crappie patern. I had used some of that duck that my boss had gave me to create a quick patern but i think once in the water the fibers will shrink down and have more of a minnow shape than a panfish.

I performed a google seach but only got patterns that are created to catch crappie not mimic them.

Any help will be appreciated.

You could research saltwater patterns. Some saltwater baitfish have relatively broad profiles like you'd see on a crappie. Tabory's slabside comes to mind if you can find a recipe. Remember, it doesn't have to be an exact copy as long it gives the impression of a panfish's appearance. Also, the standard EP-type baitfish patterns can be trimmed to suggest a wide profile. Saltwater and warmwater patterns are very similar in that they usually represent small fish that are eaten by bigger fish. I tie mostly for salt, but I've picked up some good ideas by keeping an eye on what the warmwater tyers are up to, and I'm sure the reverse is true.

yep. pretty much just use a baitfish pattern with the right coloration, you can use sharpies to add stripes and spots as necessary.

The EP is a type of material. I am placing a hairline order soon and want to get some material to create these baitfish paterns. I was thinking of adding some peacock to the top to give the pearlescent look.

What are the eyes made from. And what hooks are those.I want to get a better hook than standard streamer hooks. I like those patterns and thanks for the insight

The eyes are just 3D dome eyes. Get them almost anywhere where fly tying supplies are sold. And the hooks are Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap sz 2/0 - 5/0. yep u can make any size u want. This one is as small as a dime.

post-23191-0-75837700-1357144065_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Will be trying these soon. The lake has an abundance of small panfish and i know the toothy critters eat them. Hope to post pictures in a whil.

I'm not sure the fish would care, but I have caught a lot of baby crappies from a local Ohio lake that is basically polluted with them, and they do not have the coloration at that size as the mature fish have. I don't even think their body profiles are nearly as broad when they are small. You could essentially fish a 3" shad pattern that could pass as a juvenile crappie, in my opinion. I have tied a few small mostly white patterns with some black barring, though, and they fish well. I used teal flank feathers as cheeks, they have great barring.

I was just playing with the duck material my VP gave me. I thought this looked similar to an adult crappie but after thinking about the coloring on a "baby" crappie as stated in the post above, this may be too dark. I think it will still catch fish though. Do you guys think the duck will give off a much more slender patern in the water. I think i may add more peacock as well to give it a more green top.

Thanks again. This EP material looks like a way better material. Maybe use that then place the duck at the head and place an eye on that part.

post-43467-0-23327700-1359472709_thumb.jpg

post-43467-0-06706600-1359472722_thumb.jpg

I found the EP site. There are a lot of patterns on there that look very easy to tie. WIll be picking some of this stuff up on my next order. I am thinking of tying the bluegill, crappie, and yellow perch paterns. Any colors you guys like especially for these flies?