Fly Tying
Jimboha!

Stillwater Blob Flies Swap!

I'm finding the cactus chenille a bit flat, looking forward to seeing what the real deal looks like.

Also I cleared the eyes with a cautery tool, effectively creating molten plastic head cement.

Such a simple fly... but frustrating.

Such a simple fly... but frustrating.

One thing I have learned from my 'vast' experience of tying flies is that no fly is as simple as it looks. It's like everyting else - the professionals make it look easy. And the right materials, as always, make a big difference!

I have settled on a coneheaded, foam-arsed black and orange blob. The foam butt tends to float up so the fly bobs along while stripping in. The conehead, while also proving more color, accentuates the bob and helps keep the fly under when not using a sinking line. For variety, I'm doing some arses in orange, and some in black. Maybe I'll take some of those photos tonight...

Check back in a bit, I'll add photos to this post.

Jimboha!

post-37740-0-88491400-1361939448_thumb.jpg

My Cone-Head Foam-Arsed Black & Orange Blob

post-37740-0-86346700-1361939470_thumb.jpg

Fishing Bob's Purple Pearl Blob

(the camera makes it look blue, but it's purple)

post-37740-0-01027500-1361939516_thumb.jpg

Piker20's Flame Orange Blob (so far the best blobby cylindrical shape)

post-37740-0-26926000-1361939494_thumb.jpg

Famil00's Blob

Finally finished the last couple this morning, glad to have them off the bench finally.

The top color is dark blue base, the bottom is yellow, the flash is the same in both, a greenish mylar, which sort of blends the two well.

post-37716-0-14238600-1361983874_thumb.jpg

Ooooh! Bi-color top-to-bottom. I have only seen front-to-back. Looks good. Can't wait to see them in person.

Jimboha!

I should show you the pile of flies I did while figuring out how to do this.

There is a reason you don't see it: Probably not worth your time and effort.

Mine will be in the mail tomorrow. The real deal English Fritz ain't all that exciting. Worked okay but I see lots of good looking blobs out there with other materials. I ended up with an orange with sparkle tail, similar to PIker20s. We'll see how these fish pretty soon.

Glad you like the design Jimbo, i have never fished 1 of these before but i plan on test driving 1 this weekend on the Guadalupe River. Is it ok to just use red thread instead of red floss? I should have these in mail by Monday at latest.

Is it ok to just use red thread instead of red floss?

"Is it OK"? We'll have to run that question by the International Fly Tying Regulations Organization (IFTRO)... ;-} Does it still look 'good'? I find that many of my flies do better with red on them, especially floss. But if you have a nice bright red thread, I don't see any problem using it.

But, heck, you're already doing an experiment. Fish one with red floss, and one with red thread. Not particularly scientific, but it might show some difference. And even if it does, until you mentioned floss vs. thread, I would have never known that it should have been one over the other!

Jimboha!

We'll see how these fish pretty soon.

Just remember where these patterns excel: flatwater fishing for stocked fish. I have had success with them on lakes with fish that had planted in easrlier years as fry, so not quite natural but not really stockies. I have neither tried nor hard about how well they work in rivers. So if you do fish rivers and have no uscess, don't give up on the pattern style.

Jimboha!

I tie a San Juan Worm variation with a recipe given by a cyber friend from New Mexico who fishes the real San Juan regularly. He claims it outfishes any other variation out there. It uses red floss over the lead wire wrap to give a nice shine up thru the larva lace. You'll see what I mean.

I wish I'd have added a little extra to the basic blobs I did, but they're right out of a pattern from England and you know the English must be right. After all, look how well they did keeping us in their little kingdom. rolleyes.gif

And reading your mention of rivers, I really wish I'd have had these on the White River when I was there last fall. The browns were in hiding and the stockers were the primary activity. Caught a little bit of everything the river had to offer but now size. I don't know why this wouldn't work just as well in flowing smooth water as well as a pond. When I was on the White I fished mainly emergers, some nymphs, and some spinners on UL spin tackle. I caught bows, brown, brook, cutthroat, sunfish, SM bass, LM bass, creek chub, and even snagged a sucker. One thing you can count on in a river is variety.