Fly Tying
gpd4

DIY cartop rod rack

I saw a video the other day on YouTube (

) showing how to build a quick, inexpensive cartop rod rack. His design uses microwave magnets, and mine used "wreath magnets" from the local ACE Hardware. Anyway, the magnets were by far the bulk of the cost ($11.95 per pair). I drilled out the rivets on the magnets, put endcaps on the legs and bolted them together rather than using epoxy.

F1A263AC-A9D4-4969-A128-2C7BF53706DC-570

8B3661ED-CF41-4E38-8833-3ED0B2C7A75E-570

For about $30, it works like a charm! Holds four rods. My next set will have shorter legs - I cut these at 3.5" thinking I could also hang my large catfish rod (spinning), but with the foam on it, it's really too tall now.

How well does that hold your rod at speed? A LOT cheaper than the ones in UK so a good idea if its secure.

Made em! Basically a piece of plate steel with "quick fist" clamps for the back, then a portion of a rod holder set up for the front. I usually will put some mini bungees on as well for some extra comfort.

Here are some more pics..

IMG_8404.jpg

IMG_8405.jpg

IMG_8402.jpg

I'm not planning on running down the highway trusting those magnets to hold my rods in place. I built it mostly for moving up and down the river and back to my campsite. I have a setup very similar to Ben's for highway use - only mine is slightly more 'ghetto', if you will... I use radiator clamps to hold it on the roof bars!

another high powered magnet is often over looked try one out of an old computer usually you can find old hard drives and pull the magnets out of them. but great idea to bad that leaves little room for my kayak :)

Cool idea on both designs, but here's my problem.

I have a truck without roof racks so Chefben4's design is not an option for me. The other issue is that a magnet will work on my cab, but not my hood. I need a homemade suction cup style.

I would love to buy the Sumo, but can't justify the price when I will only use it maybe a couple times a year.

Just keep the next cat fish you hook, stick the rod butt in a suitable orifice and let it sucker down on the bonnet. Maybe add some meat pate to the hood to encourage them a little.

I think that will be the next incarnation of this one. You can buy Garmin suction cup mounts for about $5 a piece. I was thinking about drilling through the ball end of it to attach it to the rack. You'd want to make sure your car is CLEAN before using the suction cups, though...

What is this C.L.E.A.N of which you speak. I've heard the wife chant this strange term in and around the car a lot. I thought it be the ramblings of mad woman.

Yep, that sounds like you nailed it. I'm glad cause for a moment I thought it involved this other thing called a H.O.O.V.E.R??

Crazy

Ladies

Expectations

And

Nagging

This is brilliant.

As for the rod holders, I wonder if the magnet can get a strong enough pull through a head liner. I've seen several rod holders that are mounted to the head liner, but they are a permanent install.

It would be nice to have a removable solution that can also keep my rods from flying down the highway.

Now to get out the ol' thinking cap.

Thanks for sharing this!