Fly Tying
GG34

Trout flies for panfish?

It's a good idea, Piker ... the washing line method. I think I prefer one fly, since it's the fishing and not so much the catching that I am into. I love catching big sunfish, don't get me wrong, but I could spend most of the day properly dropping flies into tight little spot and under over hangs without ever hooking a fish.

Maybe that's why I don't catch as many fish as some of the other people I talk to. I am looking for those special fish in special places. I use barbed hooks, because when I catch a fish, I want to get it to the boat, I need to see what I've caught, since it could be anything.

Yep most of the time I fish just one fly, the extra flying about is a recipe for disaster in weeds, nets, me! But sometimes the use of two is a great tactic for attracting fish to one and taking them on a more natural beneath it.

On the micro barb front I don't think I lose anymore fish on barbless unless they are seatrout which leap a lot and throw barbless hooks. I do find it strange we (fisherfolk) defend our sport but worry over whether to stab a fish with a tiny barb or not. We are not talking about the old barbs that were HUGE. Oh well, that's going to deviate the thread now.

I started fly fishing when I lived in TX (CO now though) and only used trout flies. Many of the bugs that panfish in the south eat are the same as what are in trout waters. Damselflies, dragon flies, mayflies, mosquitoes, hoppers (my favorite!), beetles, etc. Different species live in the south vs. north or west but impressionistic imitations are the same. All pheasant tail variations are good, all hoppers, wooly buggers, all dry flies are awesome too! The thing I love about panfish is that they aren't picky but you can get as complicated or as simple as you want, again, just like trout. LONG LIVE BLUEGILLS!!!!

Oh they'll work, just be prepared to have them completely destroyed and in short time. Whenever I have fished trout patterns for panfish that is the result, mutilated flies. I try to tie bluegill-specific flies with as durable a material as I can. They are rough on stuff.