Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
strmanglr

scissors

http://www.joann.com/snip-eze-embroidery-snips/xprd1130591/

I just thought I would post this, these are great scissors I have been using for 5 years. Soooo much better than the sixth finger scissors, they don't get hung up on my fingers, If I need to reposition in my hand or drop for a second and pick back up again and go. No hole to get my finger out of. . .much better.

Happy tying

strmanglr

The purpose of the hole on the sixth finger is borrowed from professional seamstress scissors that have a finger loop to promote permantly holding the scissors while working. If you are just tying casually at your own leisurely pace, then there isn't much benefit, but in production tying where speed and efficiency matter, you don't ever want to put them down. Picking them up and putting them down adds seconds and seconds can add up fast in a couple of hours of tying. But you should use whatever makes you happy.

Yeah, don't get misled by the hype. The scissors I put up won't slow you down one bit, much easier to use. No predetermined "spot" for a finger to go, fit all hands no matter size. Use a commonly found 40% off coupon from JoAnns and save yourself close to $20.00. That's gas money to my nearest stream. I laughed when I saw the "sixth finger" scissors.

I use them and are great for the smaller flies. I didn't pay half that for them though. Both scissors have good things going for them. Thats just my 2 cents.

Scott hit it right on the head. I don't know where this myth came from that you have to hold the scissors in your hand at all times, or you're not a "good" tier.

I've used all kinds, tried keeping them in my hand, too. Trying to tie with them in my hand doesn't work for me - I control my thread tension by the pressure I put on the spool with my palm, and the scissors get in the way.

I do use scissors to trim material that doesn't have to be close, but use a single-edge razor blade for close cuts, like trimming the thread after a whip finish.

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=RS004

Wiss Quick-Clip Speed Cutter. I bought a pair because they are blatantly endorsed over other models by A.K. Best in his book Production Fly Tying. After using them for a while, I found that he was right about how they nestled so neatly into the palm of the hand that they could easily be kept in hand constantly while tying without getting in the way. The blades are razor sharp, and when they do get dull, they're replaceable. I would add, however, that keeping the scissors constantly in hand is not necessary unless you are "production fly tying" and speed is therefore a factor.

I ended up getting away from them and going back to traditional scissors (Anvil and Dr. Slick), mainly because I didn't care so much for the fact that the Wiss scissors were spring-loaded. It's worth noting, too, that most traditional fly tying scissors can be kept in the hand constantly while tying pretty comfortably.

I used to tie with my scissors nestled in my palm, just the points extended beyond my hand ... then came the day when my eyebrow itched.

The eye patch makes me look bad to the bone ... but I'd rather have binocular vision.

I guess being self taught with everything in fly tying I do things differently. For me keeping the scissors in my palm was not comfortable but I came up with a solution for me. I keep the loop on my index finger and rotate the scissors so the shank rides on the back of the hand across my knuckles. When I need to make a cut I just use my thumb and rotate the scissors back into the cutting position. I use mainly a pair of Terra 4 inch scissors and this works well with them.

I like the wiss nips. They are everything Bryon described. I find they very easy to sharpen as well. A couple of swipes with a hook hone and they are razor sharp again. Also most people pay way to much for them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000R8LZF4/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new