Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

CDC what am i missing

Dont do as I did and order a bulk pack of mixed colours. Most of the colours do not suit any dries or emergers I would tie so just dead money.

If you fish a lot of dries, emergers, buggy nymphs, scuds etc then there are lots and lots of uses for CDC. It is very fine and provides tons of movement in a small fly with very little bulk.

CDC comes from the oil gland of water birds. It naturally floats due this oil. But team it with a hook and other material and it is not cork. You need to dry it often as when wet your fly sinks. The CDC and elk fly is good as it benefits from elk hair for floating and CDC for buggyness.

I want to start tying comparadun type flies and see this material is good here. Is it light and floats well?

Yes it floats very well, a tip on adding floatant only use a product called Frog Fanny it won't gum up the CDC.

I have a lot of CDC and have been tying with it every since it was first written about in FF magazine in the early 1990's.

There are only two brands of CDC that I buy now, Mark Pettijean and Rene Harrop's Trouthunters. The other stuff is just not as good IMHO. Maybe Hans will list the brands that are the best.

http://archives.flyfisherman.com/content/simplifying-cdc

I use a ton of CDC on the flies I tye. I use it for wings on caddis and on comparaduns, parachute posts and have wrapped it like hackle on soft hackle flies. I only use powder type floatants and wouldn't recommend the liquid or paste type floatants. I use mostly dun and tan colored CDC.

Rodney

I like the little cdc "puffs" for small down-wing patterns. I tie it in by the tips, finish the fly, and then trim away the butt section to the length that I want. Sometimes I will use a couple puffs on a single flie to achieve the fullness that I want in the wing. This works for me on flies from a size 16 and smaller, but its hard to find the puffs big enough for anything larger.

So far, I haven't found them necessary. I have tied with it, and find they make attractive looking wings, but they soon get waterlogged (good for a fish or two.) Then one has to dry them off (products already mentioned,) or replace them. I use it only on a few patterns, and used them occasionally on difficult trout. I can live without it.

I use Tiemco Dry Magic for CDC flies followed by Frog's Fanny or an alternative combination fly drying crystal, fly powder combination product like Shimazaki Dry Shake or Loon Outdoor Top Ride. In my experience the CDC oil clumps the feathers but Tiemco Dry Magic does not.

After the fly has been slimed, take a paper towel or a piece of artificial chamois and squeeze the fly to absorb as much of the water as you can. Then either get a separate bottle of desiccant like Cortland Dry-ur-fly to absorb the rest of the water, then retreat with Frog's Fanny.

You can also flick water off of the fly using a rubber band.