Fly Tying
Kudu

soft hackle flies

I plan on trout fishing more this year and fishing in general. I fish the Cumberland River tailwater in Kentucky as it is close to where I live. It has not been the fishery it always has been due to repairs on wolf creek dam on lake cumberland. The generation flows have been enormous. Anyway, the flows should have some normalcy this year as the dam repairs are almost complete and they Corps says they are going to raise the lake from 680 to 700 which is still below normal but better.

I always throw streamers mainly white. I want to expand my arsenal. I have tried nymphing and according to most including the guides midges are the way to go. I havent tried them. I tie them for my friend who kills the trout on the clinch with a zebra midge with a herl collar that I tie for him but I just havent had the mindset to use them. I have used a copper john but I much prefer throwing streamers. It must be from a lifetime of bass fishing (tournaments, etc) which doesnt excite me like the old days.

I thought a soft hackle may be a compromise. According to my research the first 4 miles below the dam the predominant bugs are midges. After getting a ways from the dam there are caddis and mayflies. The hatches are very unpredictable. (The only hatches I have experienced have been cream midges, hoppers, cicada, etc) The river also has giant stoneflies that are nocturnal.

I thought I would try the partridge and olive. Thoughts, suggestions, different flies (sizes, etc,)

I will be fishing from a boat.

I think you can try some all purpose patterns in 14-18 (tied on a 1xl shank hook). Try peacock herl body with a starling or black hen hackle. A pheasant tail body with herl/thorax and partridge hackle. And classics like a purple silk body and starling hackle.

Fish them across stream at a dead drift (as if you were fishing a nymph). I'd also fish them as a team -- and vary the patterns on the point and dropper.

post-47768-0-79828100-1361831395_thumb.jpg

If the opportunity presents itself, pick up copies of these books:

http://www.amazon.com/Tying-Fishing-Soft-Hackled-Nymphs-Allen/dp/1571884033

http://www.amazon.com/The-Soft-Hackled-Addict-Sylvester-Nemes/dp/0811716716

(Pun intended)...You will be hooked

PT/TB

Hare's Ear Soft Hackle, in various colors and sizes, will cover most emergences of mayflies and caddis flies. Supplement these with a Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle (I like to add a small thorax of peacock herl to the original pattern). All of the "Partridge-and" patterns are good, especially the Partridge and Olive, Partridge and Orange, and Partridge and Yellow. Dennis Potter has a soft hackle pattern that uses Mirage Opal tinsel for the body (very specifically opal, NOT pearlescent - there's a difference), a thorax of medium-to-dark dubbing and either partridge or mottled hen hackle. I haven't tried it, but I've tied a bunch up and they look like they'll be killers in off-color water and at night.

Soft hackles are my go-to fly when nothing's hatching (I hate nymphing), and they have saved many a day for me.

Syl's midge is exactly what you want. Its a soft hackle (size 16,) tied with a peacock body, and a turn and a half of partridge hackle. Works great as a midge pupae, just under or in the surface.

Thanks for the tips guys. Will do. Thanks for the cite to the books pt. I do enjoy a good book.

Slippery slope your stepping on to.

All good suggestions.

I don't know your water, but scud patterns are usually a good bet for tailwaters. Any number of simple full bodied light colored soft hackled flies would do.

Kudu --

I'd tied a bunch of soft hackles for a friend that just went to the White River in Arkansas. Red floss body, peacock thorax and partridge hackle was this hit for the trip (on a #16 3906b) -- similar to a Red Ass soft hackle but floss instead of wire. I'd tie it both ways so you can get it deep if you need to.

I've never had luck with "red" bodied flies here in the north but for southern tail waters and still water it's seems to do the trick.

I recall reading something/somewhere on red being a more effective color in low oxygenated waters. I don't recall the entire theory but I'm sure you can find it with a google search.

Thanks guys. Ill give all your suggestions a shot. The Cumberland River while being a good fishery is atypical in a lot of ways. I am sure one of your suggestions will work.

@ Ezgoing -- Couldn't agree more on the book choice. Hughes' book is perhaps the best compendium on wet fly fishing for any library.

Kudu --

l reading something/somewhere on red being a more effective color in low oxygenated waters. I don't recall the entire theory but I'm sure you can find it with a google search.

Our water tends to be quite acidic and O2 can suffer. Reds and clarets are a staple. Coincidence??