Fly Tying
Homer35805

Rotary Vise, Best Recommendation For First Rotary Vise

ALCON,

Greetings to all. I have been tying for about two years now and I am getting ready to purchase my first rotary vise.

However, the selection of rotary vises is quite daunting, and the price variance is astounding.

So, if you, whomever you might be, could recommend a good starting rotary vise I would appreciate it very much.

My price range is from $0 (Ideal) to $250(ish) (not so Ideal), but flexability is the key they tell me, so send me your recommendations, but remember I am still not Donald Trump wealthy....heck, his housekeeper probably makes more in a year than I do...

Thank you to all who respond.

Homer in Alabama

Try the search function as there is heaps and heaps on vice choices. Unfortunately it comes down to what you like best so that's not too helpful. What I would say is if you have been tying 2 years and plan to tie for many more, $250 may seem a lot but that vice should outlast you. Spend $50 and you may end up spending that again in 2 or 3 years so false economy.

I upgraded to a Jvice (bit more than your budget) and love it. Peak vices always have great feedback. Make sure you look at the hook size you tie 80% of the time and buy the jaws that suit that. You can always add smaller/bigger jaws later.

Try the search function as there is heaps and heaps on vice choices. Unfortunately it comes down to what you like best so that's not too helpful. What I would say is if you have been tying 2 years and plan to tie for many more, $250 may seem a lot but that vice should outlast you. Spend $50 and you may end up spending that again in 2 or 3 years so false economy.

I upgraded to a Jvice (bit more than your budget) and love it. Peak vices always have great feedback. Make sure you look at the hook size you tie 80% of the time and buy the jaws that suit that. You can always add smaller/bigger jaws later.

Thanks for the tips, and I was planning on the upper end of the price range because I have had the cheap vises and they do nothing for me so I am ready for a little quality....not the $600 quality, but still good. Also a great tips on jaw sizes for the vise, I tye mostly #14 and larger because the real small hooks are hard to handle with my big clunky fingers....plus I always break the thread you have to use on the real small flies...tried to tie a size 24 once an almost lost my mind..lol....I've found that for where I live in North Alabama that 14 and up is good for just about anything that swims around here....

Well lots of guys on here use the Peak and you would have to play with one yourself to be sure but doubt you'd regret one.

Well lots of guys on here use the Peak and you would have to play with one yourself to be sure but doubt you'd regret one.

A question for you on Peak vises, should I go ahead and buy the 'upgrades' they offer? Brass screw set, D-arm. etc? Or is the standard equipment ok?

I was going to suggest the peak as well. But give the anvil atlas a good look too I think bass pro carries both. Another vise to consider is a regal medallion. Not full rotary but rock solid and you can rotate it. Same goes for the vises from hmh. With the first two you get well made vises that wont break your budget and and should last you a good long time.

I moved from a rotary vice (HMH knock off) to a true rotary (Jvice) and even though I dont use the in line rotary function every fly I am glad it is there and couldn't go back to a vice without true rotary.

The D arm will make rotation a little easier. The brass looks a little fancier but adds nothing to performance I dont think. A bobbin cradle is a must if you intend to use the rotary function to its potential.

I tie on a Peak, no regrets at all. I have mine tricked out with all the accessories...you dont need them all but material clips, d arm, accessory shaft and tool the caddy is nice. The regular jaws will be fine if you only go to size 14, i have the midge jaws. Ive had 32s in them and they worked great. Ive had 4/0 in my regular jaws and they worked fine for that. If you can spend 250 consider the peak, its high quality, has a lifetime warranty, and 150 will buy you the vise that comes with the bobbin holder. That leaves 100 for extras! I tiedon close 4000 flies this year and i see no wear on the jaws at all. Its a great vise! Good luck!

Evan

A question for you on Peak vises, should I go ahead and buy the 'upgrades' they offer? Brass screw set, D-arm. etc? Or is the standard equipment ok?

I'm a completely satisfied Peak user for many years. The D-Arm is nice but not required. Brass screws are nice, but again not required. I have no use for the accessory shaft. I tie down to 20 on the standard jaws and up to great big 3/0 4/0 bass bugs. No issues at all. I've tied on just about every common vise out there and IMO Peak is the best value.

Asking "what's the best vise" is a loaded question. People like what they like and that's all there is to it. Kinda like asking a bunch of Dale County hicks which is best, Auburn or Alabama, stand back and watch the fistfight. (doesn't matter that not a single one of them could even SPELL Auburn or Alabama, but they just know what they like.)

I also tie on a Peak and love it. I tie for the salt so for me #4 is a small fly. I also own a Danvise (ca. $80) and like that as well. I still use it but prefer the Peak for most tying. I usually use the Danvise for tying jigs and lately some tubes, and the Peak for everything else. I would recommend both depending on your preferences. For generic all around tying you can't go wrong with the Peak. I have the D-arm and brass screws but only because they came with the package I got a deal on. I also got the extended shaft which I don't use. In other words, just the basic Peak would be fine, like JSzymczyk was saying

I'm surprised the Renzetti crowd hasn't chimed in yet. I tie on a Dyna King Trekker. Amazing holding power on large hooks. The standard jaws are supposed to hold 8/0 to size 22. I find that size 12's and 10's slip a bit. I have ordered the midge jaws to solve that problem. I also LOVE the base that comes with the vise, nice and heavy. Overall the vise is built like a tank, I hope it will last a long time.

I have been tying on renzetti for almost 20 years,started with the traveler back in 1995,just upgraded to the presentation 2000, and not one single problem with the traveler in 18 years.RENZETTI.

Highly recommend the Peak - can't say enough good about it. It is a rock-solid tool, reliable and comfortable to use - all anyone could ask from a vise. I had planned to go for some of the extras when I bought mine, but I soon found that the vise did everything I wanted it to do without them. There are many good vises out there in your price range, but if you choose the Peak you won't regret it.