Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Noggin10

Taking flies to the UK?

Shouldn't be a problem unless you declare that they are all tied with a variety of illegal or endangered species. There is no way any customs officer could know what a fly was tied with.

where are you hoping to fish?

When I last flew I came across a member of the security staff that fished. We talked for quite a while. Part of the discussion covered the carriage of fishing tackle. According to the rules they work to so long as the metal of the hook, straightened out is less than 6 inches it is permitted in hand baggage.

The airline advised me that a 7 piece rod would not be permitted in hand baggage. The security staff said it would. The airline though charges a premium to check "sporting goods" that was more than the cost of the ticket. Maybe they have another motive for their miss advice?

Cheers,

C.

i took some flies to the UK in 2003 and had no problems. they were in my checked luggage.

lived in barrow in furness for about 3 months (working on submarines) and fished some tarns in the local area.