Fly Tying
djonesii

list you best synthetic kit for large mouth bass flies

As my fishing holes are more or less limited to those close to Houston Texas, my trout opportunities are limited, and since I grew up tying trout files, I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to putting together a "good" kit of synthetics to tie the current group of bait fish imitations that are making the you-tube rounds ....

So, if I were to put together one big order for synthetic material, what would it be, and it what colors?

Any help appreciated.

Dave

ep fibers are good. i use a lot of bucktail and craft fur. i like ice wing fiber for flash. use some of the new uv materials too. colors i would use would be natural like bluegill colors and chart and white.

Synthetic materials I use a lot in bass flies:

-Flash of many styles and colors

-Senyo Laser Yarn/Dub

-rubber legs

-foam

-Ice Dub

-EP fibers

-Pseudo Hair/craft fur

-Ice Chenille

Extra select craft fur

Angelina fibers

You can make a lot of good baitfish patterns with just those two items in various colors. I'd also get a bunch of various sizes of molded eyes in silver and gold. Also, you could check out Fly Tyers Dungeon and order a bunch of samples of materials you think you might use. His products are so cheap, you can afford to try out a bunch of stuff. I've never bought one of his variety boxes, but those who have seem to be happy with the amount and wide selection of materials they contain. I use a lot of FTD H2O and H2O twist - good stuff.

just did the bait fish thing at FTD, ..... will post some ties when the stuff shows up!

Thanks for the heads up.

Dave

You can make bait fish patterns with synthetic yarn. The more sparkle the yarn has the better. You can also add a few strands of crystal flash if necessary. Acrylic yarns are great for these patterns. A full skein cost about what 2 or 3 packs of FTD material, or about the same as one pack of EP fibers. The fly tying packs are 18" hanks, and they are usually thick enough for several dozen flies. A single skein of yarn us between 80 and 100 yards and will make many more flies. White baby yarn (and other pastel colors,) can be found a Walmart. Simply fold and cut the yarn into lengths for the size bait your making, brush the yarn out with a wire brush, tie in and trim.

got the kit in, no root beer, but some brown, and many many packs of congo hair.

Level of disappointment is ZERO! The kit rocks the baitfish world. EP style, wedding veils, TH Trophy wife .... all the stuff is around in the kit ( more or less, have some dubbing and bunny anyway ... )

post-48331-0-88218700-1368402462_thumb.jpg

post-48331-0-31320400-1368402466_thumb.jpg

post-48331-0-26839100-1368402469_thumb.jpg

post-48331-0-02382400-1368402483_thumb.jpg

post-48331-0-06713000-1368402485_thumb.jpg

post-48331-0-34589800-1368402487_thumb.jpg

Hope this tips the balance for anyone who was on the fence.

Dave

Holy crap... Look like musky materials to me haha.. I surprised you didn't get much of chartreuse stuff. Bucketmouth LOVE em!

Holy crap... Look like musky materials to me haha.. I surprised you didn't get much of chartreuse stuff. Bucketmouth LOVE em!

If it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use! (Lefty Kreh)

Haha Joel, i tried using the Like This button but got an error that my quota of positive votes for the day was reached, which is odd because that would have been the first ever.

If it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use! (Lefty Kreh)

So as a substitute: Crotalus Likes This