Fly Tying
brianbailey1000

Dr. Slick Hair Stackers

that's a pretty long hair stacker and you should get a shorter one

some tyers say you cant stack calf tail (maybe its because they cant stack calf tail) but all you have to do is just comb it before putting it in the stacker. make sure all of the under fur and short hairs have been removed. to some tyers the remaining effect will be whats know as the "paint brush" look where all of the hairs are lined up evenly and it looks like a paint brush.

other tyers simply hold the hair tips, remove the under fur and short hairs and tie it in.

try a griffin adjustable hair stacker and all you need is one. the one below has worked great for me for many many years

adjustable__64832.1266292724.500.500.jpg

thanks for the suggestion, I have been looking for a smaller one but many I have seen the size difference is in the size of the tube not the length, like all hair was the same length, long

Maybe I'm missing something but when you bang the butt on a hard surface, no matter how long the tube, the tips will slide down to the end to be held when the stacker is taken apart? I find the dr slick small useful because it makes me reduce my bundle diameter to fit in. The large stacker is used for most things but I don't have the discipline to select thin bundles so the narrower stacker is very useful to me.

hI, my problem is when I stack with the long stacker it is either a med or large the hair stays in the removable sleeve then I miss align it when I take it out. I am using calf hair. but the barrel of the stacker is 2 inches long

Your definately combing out all the underfur? If you are then bang it harder to get the tips to shuffle down.