Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Coloring Doll Eyes with markers

I remember doll eyes used to come in colors and they still may, its not something I use often so I haven't really checked. Tha's just as well though as I'd probably wound up buying all the colors available and have more of what I don't need.

Anyway, I had this pack of the traditional white doll eyes around that I decided I wanted to use on some foam bugs but I didn't like the way the white iris looked but liked the bug-eyed look. I had just got finished painting some bugs with my Copic and decided I'd color the doll eyes and just paint a black pupil on them. Well, the first color I tried didn't color the clear plastic dome completely, the marker I was using is transparent and wound up tinting the clear plastic allowing the black pupil to show through. I tried a few more colors and the light colors remained transparent, but for some reason, the Flourescent Yellow/Orange was opaque so, I just painted a pupil on with the black Copic marker by hand like I had originally thought I'd be doing..

I guess you could glue them on first and color with the felt tip marker but I decided to do a bunch and stuck them to some doubled over masking tape and used the Copic Airbrush markers to color a batch.

Kirk

DSC_7119-1_zps07d7591e.jpg

Hate to tell you Riff but that big dude in red with the white beard..... Afraid you're going to have to beg the wife instead!

You can still get colored doll eyes at Joann's Fabrics. They come in an assortment pack with blue, green, yellow, white, red, and purple iris colors. I think the count was 200 total. Less than 3.00.

I have put a few on some frogs, which I need to post.

I've got a load of paint, that's translucent, for tinting aeroplane canopies and head lights when model building, might have to do some experimenting

I bought some of the colored iris eyes like shown above, they do look good. They have a clear plastic globe and the color is on the back like the white ones. When coloring/tinting he dome, can see the color of the protruding dome from the bottom of the bug.

Kirk