Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Your Favourite LBF

Had to be up at a silly time this morning so decided to drop in on a water as it was on my way back home. Had thrown everything in the car and realised while fishing I dont have anywhere near enough Little Black Flies, wet or dry.

So what is/are your favourite pattern/patterns when you need that LBF?

Here is a little dry I use, #24 (94840). I call it a Grizzly and Black. It will catch fish in January when temps get as low as -10 deg. F, as long as the midge will hatch and the fish rise. It will catch 'em when it's hot as hell too !

004-4.jpg

Black dry spiders. On size 16 hooks. Thread body, 6 turns of black cock hackle. and also a wet spider version, one turn of natural black hen hackle. I prefer natural black as I've noticed it has a really nice iridescence to it

I agree on the natural black. That green/blue shine looks like a house fly. Never understood why more natural black not about.

I got a really nice hen cape from Cliff Harvey Angling for only a couple of quid. It's rated for bigger hook sizes but it's a great cape for so cheap.

The griffiths gnat always seems to produce for me as far as the LBDF (Little black dry fly), and as far as wets I have a little local pattern that saved me last week. It is on a small 14-16 wet hook, bunch of black bugger marabou for the tail, short and ripped out, then the original pattern is a black dyed peacock herl body with a single strand wrap of blue flashabou up the body tied off at the head with black thread. It was the only fly that I could get the trout to take last week on the river, and they wanted it stripped or swung at a decent rate of speed, they chased it down and hammered it hard! Jam was having some luck with soft hackles fished in a similar matter, but for me that LBF was the producer till I hung it up in a tree. Needless to say I grabbed some blue flashabou and have started spinning a few more to take its place.

Thanks, this fishery won't allow static buzzers so the flies need to move. I'll tie some of these blue ones they sound good.

:wavey: yeah the Harvey hens are a real bargain I snapped up 5 on offer. Lovely for wets.

If anyone wants a printable version of that SbS contact me. I didn't put it up as its 18Mbs but I will forward it.

Cheers,

C.